Sunday, November 26, 2023

Present and past

It has been a busy second half of November, what with the usual, the new, and Thanksgiving; sorry posting last week got away from me. Brace yourself for the resulting glut of photos and topics!

For the first time I'm making a concerted effort to keep up with Wovember prompts on Instagram, which means more intentional photo-making than usual. It helps that the weather has been stunning – dry, mostly sunny days; frosty nights; some memorable sunrises. The sheep are enjoying being out every day, and I'm riding Stella near-daily (usually after turning out both horses in the arena) to give her an outlet for her energy.
















After a third visit from my friend last Wednesday, I'm finally WEAVING! I'm inordinately tickled with this simple practice piece of cotton twine warp and wool yarn weft (that I got from a Freecycle ad). It's a good thing my loom has been moved upstairs to our chilly bonus room/library, or I'd probably be spending more time than I should working on it.

We enjoyed the annual Thanksgiving gathering at our church on Thursday, and at Brian's request I made a second Thanksgiving dinner just for us for Sabbath dinner – after which Rick and I headed to the coast for a late-afternoon walk. It's a 'king tide' weekend and we arrived in time for a 'minus tide.' We didn't take the dogs, knowing we wanted to walk out on rocks not usually exposed, and it made for a lovely, relaxing 'date' for just the two of us (I took so many photos that I've decided to share them separately).

I keep getting reminded of the past by Facebook's algorithms and when I save photos to my blogging file. Yesterday FB showed me a post from three years ago, a video I took of Poppy excitedly greeting Brian when we went to visit him on his college campus. That was hard. If he had stayed the course, he'd be a senior in college now, preparing for a future career, maybe dating his future partner . . . not living with us in what I would describe as a state of suspended adolescence. And three years ago we all had no idea my dear step-dad would be gone a year and a half later. Yes, life looked a lot different three years ago, but time marches on and I need to face forward. What is that saying?
The past is history. The future is a mystery.
Today is a gift; that's why it's called the present.

Doing my best to enjoy the present at . . .

5 comments:

thecrazysheeplady said...

Great shots! And you've been nailing the Wovember posts! I have a little FOMO, but just couldn't pull it together this year.

A :-) said...

It is hard sometimes when FB pulls up memories . . . You've had so much change in your life in the past few years. Many milestones. All the animals look healthy and happy in your beautiful weather. I'm headed into the city today - and of course it's stupidly cold after the light snow we had yesterday. Cleats will be in order to get safely to the train. So happy for you that you have started your journey as a weaver! I learned weaving was NOT for me - one of the few fiber arts that I don't enjoy. I gave it a good shot, but I never felt the love for it that I have always felt for knitting and spinning. I'm always happy to see a blog post from you :-)

Michelle said...

Sara, I've missed two days of Wovember, but choose instead to focus on all the days I've managed to post!

Yes, A, those memories always take me by surprise, since I spend very little time on FB (most of my posts are shared from IG; I rare VISIT FB). The photos of Jackson are always bittersweet. I can already tell that weaving could be a 'thing' for me, but time is limited. Stay safe in the city!

Jeanne said...

It was so nice to find your latest post! The pictures are really nice. I especially love the second of the three pictures at the beginning! The rays behind the tree are really special!

Your use of "Wovember" made me think of the one our former pastor loved to use: Septober. He just had hip replacement this morning. He has been in a lot of pain.

It's good to hear that you are getting started at spinning. Keep trying.

Have a good week!

Michelle said...

Glad you enjoyed the photos, Jeanne. I hope your former pastor is recovering now. Hip replacements seem to go well (easier than knee replacements) for most people – not that I want to test that understanding!