Monday, August 17, 2020

Heating up and slowing down

Friday is usually filled with cooking and cleaning in preparation for Sabbath, a day of rest and worship. But the best-laid plans of mice and (wo)men don't always work out. Our power went out at 10:30 in the morning, not too long after I returned home from taking Brian to work. The recording on our utility company's phone system estimated that it would be restored by 1:30, so I (kinda-sorta) followed the examples of Chuckie and Poppy and took it easy, sitting in my chair and spinning (a near-vegetative state is not my style).



I needed to go to the bank and post office at the small town just over the hill, so I took Poppy along so she could play with her sister Penny.
"Sisters, sisters; there were never such devoted sisters,,,,"

Both good-looking Decker Rat Terriers, but in different ways. Poppy looks like their dam; Penny looks like their sire.

By the time we got home it was well after 1:30, but the power was still out. Since I couldn't cook or clean and it was heating up outside, I stayed in the relatively cool house and spun. As soon as Rick got home around 6:00 I asked him to start the generator to power the refrigerator and well, because I suspected the sheep and horses were in need of water. Within a minute of him getting it out and running, the power came back on – of course!

Sabbath morning dawned clear and warm. How come the dusty, weedy pasture looks better in the morning sun than my dusty, dirty house?

Chuckie was feeling his catnip. Fortunately, he can't take it out on the hand that pets him when he's up a tree!


The boys are all doing well now. There's not much to eat in their little 'pasture,' so they get hay:

Poppy and Chuckie were both interested in the fresh gopher activity in the yard. Although Poppy has a much higher prey drive than Chuckie, she doesn't seem to posses the ability to lie in wait like a cat. It's "Go! Go! Go! Hunt! Hunt! Hunt!" It works sometimes; as of this morning she has killed eight mice in the tack room.

My two hills of summer squash are starting to put out. I'm picking them young and tender (that is a small, RV-sized dish drainer) and using them in yummy pasta salads which is this summer's go-to staple. Rotini pasta, whatever fresh vegetables are on hand, olives of any kind, and a simple homemade vinaigrette dressing. I've added fat-free feta cheese when I've had it. We all love it and it's refreshing in this hot weather.

Yesterday Poppy and I rode with Rick in his air-conditioned truck to the coast for vet calls. I had finished the roving I was spinning the day before, so I didn't have something to keep my hands busy – until lunch. We were both hungry by the time Rick finished his calls but there weren't any good spots that we knew of to get food, so we started driving home. We passed a cute little gift and flower shop that advertised pizza on a sign; I suggested going back to see what else they had. I just had a good feeling about the place. Rick went in while Poppy and I waited in the A/C, and eventually came out with the most amazing grilled cheese sandwiches! Mozzarella, pesto, tomato, and avocado; it probably had more fat than I usually eat in a month but tasted soooo good. Of course hunger IS the best appetizer. 😉 Rick even bought a treat for Poppy (yes, he's a good man 😊).



It's been awhile since I've gotten a good sunrise photo. Now that day length is shortening, I'm sure to be sharing more. Here is one from this morning:
Trying to keep cool at . . .


8 comments:

Mama Pea said...

I think your power outage was telling you to slow down and take a bit of a break! Sounds like you found plenty of worthwhile things to do during it though. Your mouser (Poppy) certainly does have l-o-n-g legs when she's stretched out as in some of your pictures! I happen to be starving as I type so would love one of those grilled cheese sandwiches right now!

Michelle said...

Mama Pea, I don't think I go at it nearly as hard as you do, so I probably didn't deserve that break, but I did enjoy sitting and spinning . . . for awhile. And that sandwich made my eyes roll back in my head, it was so good!

Leigh said...

That photo of Poppy and Penny is so cute! And of course, Chuckie never fails to please. Your grilled sandwich looks fantastic too. Glad you got your electricity when you did! At least you have the backup generator.

Florida Farm Girl said...

We had a power outage recently too. No apparent reason, no weather in the area. Its irritating. Man, that sandwich looks wicked! What kind of bread was that? I can find the mozz, tomato, pesto, and avocado.

Michelle said...

It was buttered and FRIED, that's what kind of bread it was, Sue! 😆

Mountaingmom said...

Well Michelle, I just changed my curbside pickup order from the natural foods store to include Avocados, pine nuts or walnuts, I've got the basil, garlic, and olive oil and tomatoes from the garden. Grilled cheese is a staple, adding fresh tomato is common, but oh my, avocado and pesto, must try. Keep up the good work Poppy, I could use your help, I have a mouse that can clear the bait on the trap and not trip it and my barn kitty passed over the rainbow bridge a while back.

Jeanne said...

Poppy and Penny are both beautiful, but I'm partial to Poppy, loving that dark face!

I don't know what's going on, but it seems to be the internet. I'm not receiving all of my emails...this one included!

That grilled cheese sandwich was enough to make me drool!

Have a great day!

Michelle said...

Fran, Poppy caught a mouse in the henhouse yesterday; that's #9! Today she flushed a mouse out of the tack room (I was standing in the doorway). It ran right past Chuckie, who couldn't be bothered to even TRY and catch it. 🙄

I'm partial to Poppy, too, Jeanne. We're all surprised at how much Penny lightened up; we thought she would be as dark as Poppy, just with some white on her nose!