Monday, August 03, 2020

First kill!

A mouse got in our tack room awhile back, so when I go to the barn to do chores, I put Poppy in there. She can smell it and she wants it, but with all the 'cover' in there, she hasn't been able to nab it. I check on her every so often and at one point tonight, she was fixated in the back corner behind/beside a cabinet, so I poked a pole back there and two mice ran out and under a shelf unit. Ugh. Well, when I was done with chores tonight I went in to clip her leash on and 'drag' her back to the house, and there in the middle of the floor was a DEAD mouse! Yay Poppy!

No photos of our cluttered tack room or dead rodent, but I do have some Poppy pix taken recently. We found one of her tennis balls:

And here is our little snuggler, sleepy and not so sleepy:



Last night while Poppy hunted mice, Chuckie made love to my chore gloves. You'd think they were made of catnip! Cats are strange....



That's it for tonight from . . .

9 comments:

Leigh said...

Way to go Poppy!

We have one cat who does that to our feet. :)

Michelle said...

As thrilled as I was with Poppy, all she wanted to do was FIND THE OTHER MOUSE. She's outside hunting ground squirrels as I type!

Chuckie is entertaining in so many ways. :-)

Mama Pea said...

Chuckie should be worried as there seems to be another "mouser" in residence!

Michelle said...

Mama Pea, Chuckie's spotty performance as a mouser is part of the reason I wanted to get a rat terrier!

marlane said...

I had a dalmation husky cross who was an excellent dispatcher of vermin she would grab them and shake and they were gone in a moment. I can understand farmers in my native England having Jack Russel terriers for rat control It is a very quick and I think as humane as it gets. Probably not to be understood unless one has witnessed it.

A :-) said...

The gloves probably carry your scent. Chuckie's wanted to be an indoor cat pretty much since you've had him, hasn't he? Glad Poppy's earning her keep ;-D

Retired Knitter said...

Wow. A mouse catcher!! Chuckie better up his game or Poppy will take the "crown."

Donna said...

Yay Poppy!

Jeanne said...

Michelle, I didn't realize you had an ulterior motive about the type of dog you wanted to get! It didn't dawn on me, even, that a rat terrier would/could serve a useful purpose. Boy do I feel dumb! But YAY for Poppy! She did a great job!!

Chuckie looks so cute in his pictures with your gloves! Cats are funny sometimes!