Friday, March 01, 2019

Now this is how a year should start!

March was the first month in the Roman (pre-Gregorian) calendar, and today was definitely worth celebrating. The bite was gone from the air, the sun shone, and most of the remaining snow vanished rapidly. By 10:30 this morning Jackson had very little to snack on; by noon the deck was bare and dry.


When I walked down to the neighbor's at noon, I saw my first bluebirds of the year.
Poor photo of the female; the male flew before I got my iPhone out

Later when I rode Lance down to the other end of the lane, I saw at least four more – better than New Year's fireworks! So were the clouds.





Another high point was an actual garden harvest! I needed parsley for a salad, and thought I could see a bigger clump of green among the green weeds in the garden. Sure enough, the parsley I planted last year survived the winter weather and I was able to pick plenty.
Oh, and the hens laid four eggs. Huzzah!

Happy Roman New Year from . . .

8 comments:

Michelle said...

Did March come in like a lamb or a lion where you are?

Portia's Cloth said...

Beginning of March in Melbourne Australia is unseasonably hot. Four days in a row of mid to high thirties (C) or nineties (F). I have an outdoor craft market tomorrow and the forecast is hot all day with a thunderstorm around pack up time. Not sure if that makes it lion or lamb?

Mama Pea said...

We had a calm day with a bit of sunshine. Also lots and lots of snow still on the ground, but that's expected this time of year.

You certainly do have lovely, beautiful, gorgeous views all around your place.

Tell Jackson to watch for a package in the mail . . . a big, big box of snow! ;o}

re'New said...

Lion, we had another snow fall yesterday - we're well over 50 inches for the winter and going into March when we normally get most of our snow. It's below zero this morning and no spring in sight here. We have run out of places to put snow. I'm hoping my brother can get the road open to my loom again, but not holding my breath. We spend most of our time pushing snow to feed cattle and he needs to get to the neighbor to clean that out soon- we've been walking in to that place to take care of horse chores that we do while they are south this winter.

wyomingheart said...

Stunning photo's! Glorious days for sure!

Michelle said...

PC, I would call that weather a nasty, 'hot'-tempered lion! I think I'd prefer snow, although I do love a good thunderstorm (rare here).

Jackson would think that was GREAT, Mama Pea. But probably cheaper to just feed him ice cubes from my ice-maker. ;-)

I do remember that relentless, unmelting snow from our one winter in MN, re'New. Challenging weather in which to have livestock, that's for sure!

Jeanne said...

Well, the snowstorm we had actually came a little before March! We got 12-18 inches of heavy, wet snow, which broke hundreds of trees, and took out our power for about five days. I'm not sure it counts for March, but it certainly wasn't pleasant. And it was COLD!! It's still cold, but at least now we have sunshine!

Susan said...

You say March, I say Farch. It was 1 degree this morning and it will be the same for the next few days. I am to the point where I just grit my teeth and wait March out. However, looking at your beautiful photographs certainly make the wait more bearable.