Thursday, May 04, 2017

Bewitched – right into the caldron!


Spring, you evil sorceress you. Like the sirens of legend, you lure us in with your birdsong and blossombud, then leave us shipwrecked in summer heat. This, this is why Fall is my favorite season! Fall, even if "fashionably late," never fails to place a cool, damp cloth on our summer-fevered brow, drawing the blinds to shield us from the harsh and glaring sun.

After seven months of heat reprieve, the temperatures are climbing into the 80s for the second day in a row. I'm sweating it out, hanging on for tomorrow when cooler weather returns for awhile. A few fluffy harbingers are even now drifting across the blue sky. Clouds; I love clouds! Not a solid, gray ceiling of them, but dramatic and dynamic, like last Friday morning's:
Yesterday morning dawned foggy – and atypically warm and muggy. I took advantage of the diffuse light to take a few photos of Sheep Heid, now washed and blocked, before sending it off to Tina in Tennessee.


I haven't had time to work on Sheep Heid #2, but I did choose a pattern this morning for Theresa's handspan-for-charity yarn. Wool – another good reason to love cooler weather!

Speaking of wool, shearing is scheduled for next Tuesday. I need to get busy and check to see who I can roo; there may be some new candidates because of scheduling shearing for later this year. I would be happy to have a whole flock of roo-able Shetlands!

Foxtail, a nasty enemy of sheep and fleece, is heading out with a vengeance in the middle pasture. I've been putting the sheep and horses (separately) out on it daily to eat as much as possible before the seedheads mature. Then I want Rick to mow it. As a management tool it's worth a try, and may extend the use of this area.

That's it for now from . . .

3 comments:

Theresa said...

OMG that hat is awesome. The flowers are pretty awesome too. We had tornado warnings last night, hail and two hours of thunder and lightening.
Hope that handspan works okay for you, I'm not the greatest spinner on the planet, not even close...:-)

Claire MW said...

Wow, what a fabulous job you did on that hat. Just stunning! Well done! Our spring is still very early days here and we won't get into the 80s until July sometime, and even then, we usually only have a handful of days each summer that make it into the low 80s. 83 was our highest temp all of last summer.

Michelle said...

Thanks, Theresa; that pattern was so fun I'm working on #2! And I am looking forward to knitting with your handspun!

I think I need to move to YOUR neck of the woods, Claire -- and I can think of more benefits than weather....