Thursday, May 12, 2016

Feasting my eyes on iris

I have been collecting pictures of our iris when I can catch them in good light; they thrill my heart so. Rick bemoans how few flowers there are, and our iris bed is in serious need of redoing – lifting all the corms, cleaning out the weeds, and replanting. However, the iris out by the gate that were here when we bought the place in '95, completely neglected and competing with pasture grass, are blooming a riot; go figure!
Tuesday afternoon I rode my pony down the gravel lane through the woods and came upon a big clump of wild iris. I was so surprised to see my favorite wildflower; I thought their season had passed! I took photos with both my dusty-lens barn camera and my iPhone (for Instagram); my iPhone (bottom photo) did a better job of capturing true color.

There can never be too much beauty around . . .

4 comments:

Mama Pea said...

The iris is such a beautiful flower. Thanks for sharing with all of us.

Laura said...

Beautiful! I have always loved the dark purples, the bronzes and the picotee (white with purple edges).

Michelle said...

My pleasure, Mama Pea!

Laura, we had some of those white with purple edge iris, but they aren't blooming this year. :-(

Maggie said...

Magnificent!