Wednesday, March 02, 2016

The color of March is GREEN!

Yes, we have bright green grass growing all around, and St. Patty's Day is coming up. But this morning's excitement was this:
our first green egg!

Lest you think it has taken the Inkspots this long to contribute, I assure you that their coming has bolstered our egg production dramatically. From February 1 through the 25th, we collected a grand total of three eggs from our over-the-hill hens. February 26-29, with the addition of three young hens? Seven more eggs, enough to fill my refrigerator container for the first time in ages (I am stingy with eggs when production is down).

That meant one of two things. Either the over-the-hill hens saw handwriting on the wall with the arrival of the Inkspots and decided they would rather lay than fry (I can't remember the last time I've seen Goldilocks in a nest box, although she has yet to produce a blue egg),

or the Inkspots don't lay green eggs. Given the big bump in production (I got a third egg later this morning; woot!) and the fact that the brown egg in the top photo above was collected from under an Inkspot, I think the likely answer is that two of the new girls lay brown eggs and one lays green.

***************************************

This is a quick snack of a post until I have enough time to tell you about our weekend. Happy March!

That's it for today from . . .

1 comment:

Mama Pea said...

There's not much that frustrates my cooking attempts more than not having an adequate amount of eggs! Glad to hear the new girls may have scared the bejeebers (and eggs) out of the old hens!