Thursday, June 04, 2015

Ch-ch-change

This photo doesn't have a whole lot to do with anything, except that it is of some of my flock – a flock that is seeing a LOT of changes in 2015! Four lambs were born; Annabelle died; Marta and Bali departed for their new home; Barbados departed for his new home; and three of the four lambs will be leaving, too – possibly by the end of this month. Moving that many sheep in one year is a huge blessing, even though good-byes are hard. It keeps my husband happier and allows me to look forward to lambs again next spring. God is good!

That's it for now from . . .

6 comments:

Debbie said...

My goodness, that is a lot of critters out the door! As hard as the good byes must be knowing that it takes a bit of pressure off is a good thing. And thoughts of more lambs next year, a bonus!!

Retired Knitter said...

Oh my. I do not think I could live your life style. I would have made loving pets of all those creatures and be totally unwilling to let them go. Guess I am a city girl deep inside. But I do enjoy sharing your life through you blog.

Michelle said...

I've never sold that many sheep in one year before, Debbie . . . which is why my numbers were getting uncomfortably high.

RK, it is HARD to live this lifestyle sometimes! The sheep have to generate a certain amount of income in order for us to get "farm deferral" on our property taxes. A large-enough flock can generate that through fleece sales alone, but not enough to help much with their expenses (mainly hay). If I ever want cute lambs to enjoy while striving to improve my flock, then I have to be willing to sell animals. If I produce lambs and never sell any, I become a hoarder who cannot provide sufficiently for my charges. So I have to make the hard choices....

A :-) said...

Wow - that's practically all the new lambs gone, isn't it?

Michelle said...

Yes, Adrienne, three of the four.

Karen Valley said...

So which one got to stay on the farm?