Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Out like a lion (cub)

March came in unusually mild, definitely like a lamb, and has pretty much stayed that way – until today. Nothing extreme, but it was definitely cooler (we've got a fire going again), with showers, sunshine, downpours and hail.

Barbados sheltered well from the showers last night and wasn't wet this morning, so I struck while the fleece was dry.
Mid-side
Shoulder
Behind hip
Shortly after I got the above photos it started to rain, so we moved to the machine shed. Even though I wasn't able to keep it intact, his fleece came off easily except for a small area on his haunches. He was left with a nice layer of very dense, crimpy new wool, now protected by a fresh coat.

Available: a crimpy, fine, soft fleece, and a 2014 fine-fleeced fawn katmoget polled ram (micron test results pending)!

That's it for today from . . .

5 comments:

Kelly said...

Good looking boy.....Sadly the fawn kat rams are the hardest to sell. That baffles me because the fleece makes such a nice heathered yarn and it over dyes well too.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Michelle, I can't tell...is he hand shorn, blade shorn or did you roo him?

Unknown said...

I wish I knew a little more about wool while it's still on the sheep, but It looks so clean and beautiful.

A :-) said...

Wow! That's crimpy!

Michelle said...

I didn't know that, Kelly! Oh well, he might be just what SOMEone wants....

Sandra, I rooed him.

That's the benefit of coating my sheep, Nancy Kay.

It sure is, A. :-)