Friday, March 20, 2015

Officially Spring

I know, I already posted today, but I forgot to wish you all a Happy Spring, and the photos were from yesterday, and, well, how could I not post more lamb photos? ;-) But first, some flowers as befits the season (never mind that it's been spring here since early February):


And of course, current lamb photos:
Bree
Brosna
Brosna and Blaise

Marta gets a gold star. She continues to be very "still" with the lambs; she's the only one of the ewes (besides mom Vienna) who has not butted them. I think she will be an excellent mom herself some day.

It would be hard to find a better mom than Vienna, though. This afternoon while riding I could see her laying down in the pasture with her lambs. A couple different times a soaring red-tailed hawk appeared high overhead, and Vienna kept her eyes trained on it. She gets a gold star, too.

So does Sarai.
When Lance and I were done with our ride, Sarai was walking the fence line. I opened the gate and asked if she would like to go back in the fold. Yes, indeed. I watched her for a bit, then headed to the house. A half hour later I went down to check on her, and . . .

Heh; like how I snuck those in on you? ;-)

I could tell Sarai was in active labor, and went to the house to grab some towels and give her a little time. She didn't need much! And it took her twin boys even less time to find their feet and then her teats; they are VIGOROUS!

When I brought the rest of the sheep in tonight, I wasn't quite sure where to put everyone. Annabelle needs her protected corner; I had moved Sarai and twins into the freshly stripped and bedded lambing jug. Vienna's girls started getting pushed around a little too much for my comfort in the confines of the remaining fold space, so I ended up putting Vienna, Bree and Brosna in with Annabelle. Through it all, Vienna was calling to Sarai's boys; she seems convinced that somehow those little brown lambs are hers, too! In fact, she and Sarai argued about that fact through the gate and bashed it open, so I had to chain it shut.
Hopefully that will keep them separated and lambs safe.

Thus Spring begins and lambing concludes at . . .

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats and Happy Spring!

Laura said...

You only bred the two girls? Good for you!

Fat Dormouse said...

Lovely photos. I adore lambs!

Karen said...

So jealous! Still snow here, no flowers and no lambs yet!!

Mary Ann said...

Oh my goodness, they are beautiful! Will you tell us what their colors are called?

Diane said...

Nice looking little guys. Can't wait until our shetlands begin to lamb.

Leigh said...

Lambing (and kidding :) is the absolute best part about spring! Love the photos and so glad it all went well.

A :-) said...

Oh, they are good looking!!! I'm so far behind - just getting caught up. Congratulations on two more members of your flock!!