Wednesday, March 19, 2014

If I can make it through March….

Oh, who am I kidding? Life has its challenges every month of the year; I just don't want to think about the next challenges coming down the pike. I'll just keep repeating Mark Lowry's favorite verse:

(You'll hear the verse at 1:50 in the video. Hey, watching that again just made me feel better!)

March has seen my horse sidelined with an injury just before show season starts (I'm waiting for my husband to recheck him to know if I can start riding again); me sidelined (as much as a country girl can be sidelined; ha!) with an increasingly painful knee culminating in a wrenching stumble that put me on crutches for nearly a week; the arrival of the season's first lambs from a ewe who only has enough milk for one; a week of sleep deprivation, which set me up for the worst cold I've had in years/decades; and my first screening colonoscopy (oh joy). But this, too, shall pass, and the sunny side is there for the seeing. My screening results this morning were good so I don't have to do that again for ten years (and my low blood sugar headache has got to go away eventually – right?); Mr. Brownjeans got some attention while I was indisposed;
not that he's terribly exciting at this point

Benny made it through last night just fine without an o'dark thirty feeding (and ate better for Rick than he has for me!); my knee is feeling MUCH better; I have a half a case of Costco kleenex so I shouldn't run out; we get to help a 99-year-old friend celebrate his birthday this Saturday even if I have to wear a mask (I'm making German Chocolate Cake); and next week three girlfriends and I are going to see Menopause The Musical. Oh, and thanks to Laura and Sue who stopped by yesterday, I am far better prepared to handle any future lambie emergencies (thanks so much, ladies!). Using Benny, they showed me how to pass and use a feeding tube; I fretted about "torturing" him but it didn't seem to bother him at all. He's little Mr. Sunshine himself:
That's it for today from . . .

12 comments:

Sharrie said...

Could your friends come to WI to give me that lesson? I sure would appreciate it. Hope you get to feeling better!

Anonymous said...

You're welcome! Tubing is scary the first time you do it, but now you know how easy it really is. Benny was a real trooper about it, and it was great fun to finally meet Lance too.

Jean said...

I hope you are feeling better soon. I am at home with a sinus infection (saw Dr. yesterday). I saw Mark L many years ago in a little church in southern MN. Thank you for the reminder. Glad your friends were able to help you to learn a new skill. Give a hug to Bennie for me!

Susan said...

Man, oh, man. That Bennie is cuteness perlambified! Sometimes it just feels that everything bad happens at once - but it sounds as if things are looking up. I hope that Lance's injury heals quickly so that you can enjoy some riding as soon as that knee is better! Spring is here - lambs are coming!

thecrazysheeplady said...

Oh Michelle...at least your lambie is doing well. Feel better!

C-ingspots said...

Oh, I laughed at that video! Isn't it oh, so true? My mom used to tell me that too, and she was always right!! You're already on the mend, and will be back on track in no time, I'm sure. Sorry about the cold - that's a bummer. It will pass... :) Benny is just so cute!!! When you're feeling low, just spend some time with little Mr. Sunshine - he will have you feeling better without a doubt!! He's just adorable!! How's Jet doing?

Thistle Cove Farm said...

that's how I felt about February. if someone had taken my vote, I would have kicked February to the curb the first week.
minimal.

Unknown said...

Love that last picture! Doesn't putting focus on a sweet little lamb make everything better?

A :-) said...

Crud - I just lost my comment :-D Here, let me try again . . .

I just had the chance to catch up - congrats on the baby lambies!!! I know you wanted ewes, but these two are awfully cute - and I already have a hankering for some of Jet's fleece!

Sorry about your knee - I hope you are better now and completely off the crutches. Heading over to read about Lance - an injury??? Oh no, shades of Russell :-(

A :-) said...

Crud - I just lost my comment :-D Here, let me try again . . .

I just had the chance to catch up - congrats on the baby lambies!!! I know you wanted ewes, but these two are awfully cute - and I already have a hankering for some of Jet's fleece!

Sorry about your knee - I hope you are better now and completely off the crutches. Heading over to read about Lance - an injury??? Oh no, shades of Russell :-(

Laura said...

Sharrie - place the lamb in your lap cross-wise with its legs on each side of your legs. Hold their head in a normal position. Slide the tube in slowly - they will help it go down by swallowing. The first couple of times, you can put the open end in a cup of water - if there are air bubbles, pull it out and try again (but it's almost impossible to get it in the wrong place. Most important, when removing the tube, kink it so that the milk remaining in it will not drain out as you pull - that *will* get in the lamb's lungs, and cause mechanical pneumonia. It's curable (lots of antibiotics), but preventable...

Unknown said...

Oh my, that final lamby picture is cuteness beyond words!