Sunday, November 10, 2013

God's paintbox

It's me, outdoors again. ;-)

The sun is filtering through high clouds today, and I am surprised to feel my spirit rise up on eager wings. I don't think of myself as much affected by gray days, although I will admit that the flat, still, leaden atmosphere of Friday and yesterday felt a wee bit oppressive. Give me dynamic weather any day, even if it includes rain!

In the increased light, my Japanese maples draw me in like a gallery of fine art – which they are. Each one is different and unique – but some are spectacular overachievers and make each LEAF different and unique! My green lace leaf, above, turns a pretty, uniform red. Our oldest and biggest Japanese maple (it was here when we bought the property in 1995; we moved it to the island bed when we built our house) is a dramatic focal point as it changes from green to a blazing campfire.

But the one that fascinates me most is probably the most common variety I have, bought for its grafted trunk rather than its foliage. It rewards me with a veritable rainbow!

Yes, all those photos are of leaves on one tree. :-)  Is there any doubt that God loves beauty?

******************************

I am taking note here (for my own documentation) that Nightcap has been very interested in Sarai for the past several days. Unfortunately, she seems alarmed by his intentions, and tries to keep him at arm's (leg's? tree's?) distance!
That's Sarai on the left, and Nightcap on the right  :-/

I so want to see what this beautiful ewe can produce from this handsome ram, but am not feeling very hopeful. If she doesn't settle again this year, it will be a huge disappointment.
"TELL me about it!"

That's it for now from . . .

5 comments:

Tombstone Livestock said...

Hope you get some ewe lambs from her, love the color of her fleece.

Mama Pea said...

Those pics of the leaves are nearly unbelievable!

Best of luck on your sheep union. Here's hoping . . .

The Dancing Donkey said...

Hmm, we've had quite a lot of "dynamic" weather lately. I'd be happy to send it to you.

The variety on that tree is amazing. I never see anything like that here. They probably don't like our dynamic climate either:)

farmlady said...

Oh! Japanese Maples... why don't I have any. We've been here for 15 years and I have never planted one. I have to put a new tree in this year to replace an struggling tree. I think that I will put in a J. Maple. Your post has sold me on this tree. Those leaves are amazing.
Hope your beautiful ewe finds her bliss with that handsome Nightcap. Fingers crossed.

Susan said...

I can see why you love Japanese Maples! They are gorgeous!! Ah, Sarai. And he's such a handsome guy, too. I hope she 'thaws' and you get some beautiful ewe lambs this coming spring.