Saturday, September 21, 2013

Fat fiber

Doing the happy dance here; today I finished spinning the last of Browning's big bag of brown roving!

As the second bobbin filled, I was getting oh-so-close to the end of the fiber. I couldn't believe I was going to luck out and not have any drips and drabs left over! The flyer arms started brushing the yarn, so I increased the take-up. Things got tighter still, and roving remained. Hmmm. My WooLee Winder doesn't wind perfectly evenly; there's always more room at the far end of the bobbin than there is at the front. So I took the bobbin off my miniSpinner and squeeeezed it – I squeezed the other full bobbin, too. Then I packed more on each bobbin until the roving was gone. (Where there's a will, there's a way!)
Now those are FULL bobbins!

I'll let those singles rest until Sunday. In the meantime, there is still 'Bubblegum' to spin up. I'm alternating between different wind-ons to keep the cop from getting so tall on this mid-whorl Jenkins Aegean spindle. Top or bottom, it's rather addictive to watch the interlocking threads layer on!

That's it for today from . . .

7 comments:

Susan said...

Congratulations! And try saying Browning's big bag of brown roving three times!

Laura said...

Yay! I got the romney all wound into balls, knit (and unraveled) a gauge swatch. Now to finalize the pattern for the merino portion, and I'm casting on. You can't stop me!!

Leigh said...

It's always neat to finish off a particular fleece. And I have to say Browning's color is really pretty.

Kim said...

Does it help to let the singles sit before plying?

Mary Ann said...

Bubblegum is a beautiful color!

Stacey Kimmel-Smith said...

Hi Michelle, you won greeting cards at Behindthebitblog.com for your comment on the artist on my blog -- email me at behindthebit@gmail.com for more info.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Michelle, that first handspun is absolutely beautifully perfect! Very, very nice indeed.