Sunday, August 29, 2010

Yesterday, today and tomorrow

Yesterday I got my flower fix - we went to Swan Island Dahlias' annual festival! Fields of flowers, a barn full of bouquets, and a catalog of requests (to make gift shopping a little easier for the DH). I forgot my camera so had to use Rick's fancy new Pentax, and can you believe I didn't get a single photo that wowed me? Maybe I just don't know how to use a fancy SLR digital, but I definitely do a better job with my little secondhand Fujifilm!

Today I'm freezing peaches among other things; I picked up four lugs last week and have been freezing them as I have time and they have need (we like them frozen better than canned). Of course, we are also enjoying them fresh. I need put on my big-girl apron and face pie crust, because we NEED another fresh peach pie!

Tomorrow we are going to the State Fair, one of my favorite family activities. Rick is the horse vet for the day (he gets a small stipend for being there and free tickets for us) and again on Thursday, so we get a double dose of fun. Good thing, too, because after nearly two months of NO rain, showers look like a sure thing for the entire Willamette Valley tomorrow. We desperately need it so I'm willing to get wet tomorrow, but it will be nice to have a dry day to attend later in the week.

We're going to careen through the end of August and zoom through September with visits to the State Fair, a horse-camping trip next weekend followed by a visit from my folks followed by a trip to Kansas for my grandmother's 100th birthday followed by the beginning of our homeschooling co-op's fall term followed by the Oregon Flock and Fiber Festival. Sometime in there we need to locate and put by the rest of the hay that we need for the year, and get a long winter's supply of firewood. Dare I mention that breeding season begins shortly after OFFF? Oh dear, I think I'm feeling a bit faint. I'd better go focus on peaches. How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.

Off to face my elephants at . . .

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a daunting schedule you've got coming up. September (and October?)should really fly by!

Molly Bee said...

Amazing flower pictures! Sounds like you have a lot of fun coming up. Eat something on a stick for me at the fairs!

Marie said...

When you come to Kansas, make sure you bring some cooler weather and some nice gentle rains, ok? I have already put my horses on the dry lot. That usually does not happen until mid-November.
Sounds like a very busy and fun next couple of months for you!
And all those flowers look so beautiful!!