Wednesday, August 25, 2010

"Work it" Wednesday

Byzantine and Bardas, twins of McTavish Katie (born 5/30/10), commenced halter training this week. Decided to get a session in first thing this morning before it got too hot. Since they are both still available, I thought fresh photos were in order. Work it, boys!

"Hi, I'm Byzantine. The shepherd says I am showing no signs of fading, so am probably At/Aa like my handsome sire SheltrgPines Constantine. As you can see, I have gorgeous, sweeping horns, striking gulmoget markings, and wool on my poll and cheeks like a proper Shetland."
"Don't let the lighter wool on my upper tail, thanks to my gulmoget pattern, fool your eye. I have a proper fluke-shaped tail - and excellent 'equipment' below it!"

"Oh, hi; I'm Bardas! Sorry, I'm just a little distracted by this sheep trap on my head."

"My brother may have the flashy pattern, but I'm just as handsome and correct and I'm developing a lovely modified fawn at the roots of my fleece."
"Not to mention my tiny, perfect tail and hunky build!"

Both boys have soft, lustrous fleece and may carry spots as they were born with minor head spotting and still sport a few white hairs. They are available intact as potential flock sires, or can be wethered as fiber pets. I can deliver them to the Oregon Flock and Fiber Festival in Canby, OR on Sunday, Sept. 26, and rides to other regions may be available from there. Priced to sell; I have no room for horned rams here!

That's it from the runway at . . .

10 comments:

Tammy said...

Beauties both and I'd take the little gulmoget if you were closer AND I wasn't taking the year off from breeding/lambing. Love Lois' sheep.
Tammy

Donna said...

Oregon is just a tad too far for me to travel....but would LOVE either one of these boys! Very handsome....

melanie said...

(drool)...

Marie said...

Both very handsome boys! Love the rich color!

Dianne@sheepdreams said...

Good for you---halter training is a real bonus for anyone who decides to take these boys. (I think all sheep should be halter trained--not that all of mine are!!)

Mom L said...

What handsome, studly boys!!! Question for you - I know very little about sheep other than what I've learned on your and other farm blogs. The closest I've been to a grown one was on a camping trip in England many years ago when I left the tent in the night to head for the (indoor!) restroom, and ran into the farmer's sheep on the way!

OK - I thought I had learned that polled sheep were without horns, but you mention the marvelously horned Byzantine having wool on his polls....??

Thanks - Nancy in Iowa

Michelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michelle said...

Understandable confusion, Mom L. "Polled" means no horns; the "poll" is their forehead area, where Shetlands are supposed to have wool, not just hair. If you look at the photos, both these boys, while horned, have some wool on their polls. My white wether, Barry, has none.

Leigh said...

What handsome little guys. Looks like they're taking to the halter quite well.

Rayna said...

LOVE Byz...he's gorgeous! Wish there was some way to get him out to MN....