Thursday, July 18, 2019

It's what the cool kids do

If I'm going to keep up with the "cool kids" (here's lookin' at YOUR blogs Claire, LeighMama Pea, and Susan!), then I'd better do a garden update – even if I'm not cool enough to have raised beds.

Yesterday was mostly overcast, breezy and cool, perfect for working in the garden – even if one was to get a late start. 😕 Brian got home from work at 12:15, Rick got up to take his mother to the airport about four hours later, then I got up . . . while Brian slept in. Since Brian had had plenty of ways to communicate when he needed to get up and if he needed a wake-up call (and has been adamant that he doesn't need us telling him ANYthing), I didn't go into his room until 9:30 – which, as it turned out, was 30 minutes before he needed to be at work and he was supposed to pick up a friend first. He roared out of bed (actually, I found him sleeping on his bedroom floor) berating at me for not waking him earlier, insisted he didn't have time to do chores (that didn't fly), and then flew down the driveway without eating breakfast (I did throw together a lunch for him). I prayed (among other things) that he'd get a speeding ticket rather than have a wreck, and trudged to the garden. It's amazing how physically draining a heavy heart is....

There was brief sun, but thankfully it clouded over again. I chose a photo angle that didn't make the garden look too bad, but at the far side where vegetable patch meets berry patch and all around the perimeter, the weeds are rampant!
Early Girl, true to its name

For some reason the cherry tomatoes never last long enough to make it into a photo!

volunteer parsley
There were a lot more snow peas than I expected, and I picked the first mess of tender bush beans (I packed a pint of each in brine so they can ferment). The basil got a good trimming, and I took the few peppers that were coloring up. There's probably a bushel or two of kale that I still need to pick and freeze.... I found some volunteer parsley in the peas, which was a welcome surprise; the plants I moved to my chive barrel almost died from too little water and now all they want to do is bloom and go to seed.

While carrying my harvest back to the house, I captured this summer scene: horses on dry grass, armed with masks and tails against the flies, framed by lavender.

You won't see any photos of the sheep out on pasture; the foxtails are dry and deadly. There is some forage in the little wooded lot, but the boys are still in the Ram-ada Inn. Blake is as lame as ever, even though Rick has treated his right knee twice with shockwave therapy. Not sure what else to try, but love is always appreciated.

Tuesday I played hooky. The only riding friend I have left had asked if I wanted to meet her at Perrydale Trails, and I jumped at the chance! Lance set a good example for my friend's horse, who has extensive arena experience but very little with trails and trail obstacles. It was a beautiful day:

That's it for now from . . .

12 comments:

Leigh said...

Choosing a photo angle for the garden is all important! lol. You did pretty well with yours. And your harvest looks scrumptious.

So sorry Blake's treatment isn't helping. And it sounds like raising a teenage boy is a real challenge. Hang in there! This too shall pass!

Michelle said...

Thanks, Leigh, for your encouragement all around. :-)

Retired Knitter said...

Why the masks on the horses?

Mama Pea said...

Weeds? What weeds? I don't see any weeds. Envious of all your kale. I told you what happened to mine. :o( And, oh, that wonderful Early Girl tomato! Sigh, someday when I have a hoop house. Maybe. With our gardens situated where we get so much wind, I have fears we'd never be able to anchor it well enough. Funny how teenagers want to do EVERYthing their way . . . except, of course, when they can blame their own lack of responsibility on mom and dad! It's rough being independent and still wanting to be taken care of. ;o)

Tim B. Inman said...

We raised teenage boys. I don't envy your job. They are mad, horny, scared and think they can conquer the whole world single handed. They don't have a clue. Eventually they leave home. When they do, immediately rent out their rooms. Our two are now grown up and have turned into fine fellows. It took time. Be cool, keep your distance, and let them have a loose rein. Keep some bail money in the night stand, but don't let them know it is there. Someday, these will be the people who pick out your nursing home room, so cultivate a good relationship. This (horrible teenage time in life) will pass.

When I graduated from high school, my mother gave me a set of luggage and said, "I'm sure you will be wanting a place of your own." 'Nuff said. The circle of life continues. Smile and laugh whenever you can.

Susan said...

Very glad you played hooky - you and Lance needed a break. The only thing producing a 'crop' right now is the kale, but I'll take it. BTW, that kale in the front of the photo is Red Russian. I planted a couple types of the Tuscan variety and the RR. Yum! Now if the tomatoes would just get ripe and if only I could get a zucchini to grow!

Michelle said...

Elaine, it keeps the flies and gnats away from their eyes (and in Lance's case, ears).

LOTS of weeds, Mama Pea; remember, it's all about framing - ha! If you were closer, I'd have kale to share. This morning I have GOT to harvest and freeze some, make a big kale salad for potluck tomorrow, and save some for sautéing – which my guys actually ATE, to my surprise!

Thanks for the encouragement and good advice, Tim! Things are worse than what I like to share publicly, but all you can do is pray and keep moving forward.

Susan, I've only harvested a few cherry tomatoes so far, but there are a couple red bigger ones that got chewed on by something (not the Early Girls); I need to give those to the chickens this morning. My hooky day was indeed lovely, and helped me feel less hopeless about my horse. Between his cascade of compromising physical issues, my fast-failing dogs, and the hell-bent teen, I feel like I'm losing everything some days....

Debbie said...

Your garden looks lovely and is certainly providing a bounty.

I wish I had pearls of wisdom to offer with the teenage years. You've given your son roots. In spite of him saying I don't want anything, he really does. He always will want (and need) your love and support. And that doesn't mean agreeing to all requests. So wait in the wings, set the alarm clock always (maybe further down the hallway) and watch him spread his wings and grow.

Glad that you had a chance to go riding.

take care

thecrazysheeplady said...

I'm trying adequan on three of my oldies. Huge improvement in B. Willard and some improvement in PPPP and Ewen. Might be worth a try?

Goatldi said...

Nice post. Love the trail ride photo.

You may want to try the cause and effect school of hard knocks with the kiddo. Sleep late ? Too bad . Smart mouth your parents car keys aren’t yours. Job or not. Leaving without breakfast or a lunch ? Sorry but not our responsibility yours. Some kids need a stronger push of motivation. Ask me how I know.

Fat Dormouse said...


I don't envy you dealing with a teenager. I'm sure he will turn out well in the end - good roots make for good growth - but it must be hard. May God give you strength & wisdom to deal with it.
I'm glad you got the opportunity for a ride. You probably needed it. If I lived nearer I'd be calling to take you out for coffee!!

Claire MW said...

Those tomatoes look fabulous! I think your garden looks terrific, even without raised beds. The raised beds are great for places with poor soil, but they do also tend to make the weeding tasks easier. Look at all your basil! Wow! My seedlings are about a half an inch high! I planted my basil quite late.