Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Sheep movement, and lack thereof

So a friend and I were going to take a road trip and deliver Butler to his new owner yesterday, but there was a bit of a snafu. "The cobbler's kids have no shoes" – and that's all I'm going to say about that.

Things went according to plan today, though; my acquaintance came to meet sheep and left with three! (Yes, they are traveling to their new home in the back of her little SUV.)

I have been stewing and brooding about which ewes to let go, poring over everyone's 2018 micron testing results, comparing breed characteristics, thinking about personalities. I took photos to compare heads and tails, and asked the opinion of other fine-fleece Shetland breeders. Babette was an easy choice for several reasons to join wether Bogie, and in the end his twin Bacall made up the trio. She went up to Nancy and melted in her hands; I think it was love at first meeting for both of them and that made the decision to let her go easier.
Bette 'hides' in the middle of a group of keepers

All ten girls, before they became eight


Now I've got to do a little sheep shuffling so Butler has some company out in the Ram-ada Inn until he leaves. The ewe pen is surprisingly quiet post-change!

That's it for now from . . .

7 comments:

Michelle said...

Thanks for your comments!

Debbie said...

This gives a whole new meaning to 'road trip'!
Well done. I know the decision wasn't an easy one.

Hope your week is going well.

Has the temperature drop reached you yet?? What a difference a day makes!

Mama Pea said...

Glad you felt okay with the decision of which ones to let go. I think you can tell if a new owner is going to take good care of your sheep when they are transported to their new home in the back of a car! We've done that on an 8 hour trip home with new goats years ago . . . the smallest one making the whole trip on our daughter's lap.

Retired Knitter said...

And THIS is why I could never do what you do. I could never be a zookeeper, or a shepherd or a rancher or a farmer that had live stock. I couldn't give ANY of them up. I become emotionally tied to animals very easily (humans not so much - what does that say about me) even if the animal is a 'pain in the *ss!' Once you belong to me, you are mine, I will love you in spite of your limitations, and I will make it work somehow.

However, I am glad there are people who can do what you do - because it makes it easier for the rest of us (meaning me) to enjoy the products of these animals (fiber, meat, lanolin, eggs, etc, etc.)

Of course, I get attached to non-living things too, like my cars, and my townhouse. Maybe therapy would help. Ha.

thecrazysheeplady said...

That sounds like a good group :-).

Susan said...

It's never easy to part with a favorite, no matter if you know you're doing the right thing. I keep forgetting how tiny Shetlands are - seeing the three sheep in the back of the SUV was a good reminder.

Claire MW said...

All your sheep are lovely - it must be difficult to make those decisions. So cute to see them ready for their journey. I'm sure their new owner is just thrilled with her purchase!