Wednesday, September 25, 2013

The long and winding road

It took me almost three months, but I finally finished spinning and plying my first entire fleece's worth of roving (it still needs to be washed and measured). Since Browning is Brian's wether, I asked Brian if he'd "model" the yarn:
He said it was "itchy," but that could have been from the sheer amount and weight (approx. 47 oz.) of yarn around his head and neck. Still, I'm wondering if he'd actually wear a hat knit from this or not (he has requested a hat and fingerless mitts).

I am still spinning up the last of the Bubblegum roving on one of my Jenkins Turkish spindles; it will be  my "travel spinning" the next two days. A friend of mine is driving to Spokane, WA to pick up a horse harness and cart tomorrow and coming back Friday; I'm riding along for a brief visit with my dad and his wife. Long before Brian was born, this particular friend and I used to spend hours and hours together on horseback and hauling our horses to the beach and shows, so I'm looking forward to a "girlfriends' road trip" with her! I wish I had something on the needles to work on, but I'm too tired tonight to decide on a project, gather materials, and swatch. I think part of my weariness comes from attending a memorial service for my homeschool co-op friend today. She was only 39.


The rain falls, but then God sends His "bow of promise." Sorrow and sunshine. Such is life.

That's it for now from . . .

10 comments:

Laura said...

Have fun on your trip! It'll be a nice break!

Susan said...

Such a shame to lose such a young mother. There are bigger plans at work, I guess. A good, long road trip with a girlfriend is sure to help lighten your sadness a bit. That is one heck of a lot of spinning there!!! I am completely impressed!

Florida Farm Girl said...

Please use the girl time to recharge your batteries. That's far more important than any project you could work on. I'm sorry you lost your friend. That hurts.

Maureen said...

Wow, that wool looks incredible! I am always amazed at you ladies who spin and knit.... so wonderful.

So sad about your friend, I am sorry to read that. Yes, it can be a drain emotionally. Hope you have a wonderful trip and recuperate!

C-ingspots said...

It's especially tragic when it's someone so very young...but yes, that is life here.

Wow!! That is beautiful yarn Michelle...and represents a whole lotta work too.

BTW...I love that old song

Endah Murniyati said...

I love the sky... the rainbow is so beautiful

thecrazysheeplady said...

I just can't get over that picture of the yarn :-D. I am so sorry to hear about your friend. Have a good trip and enjoy the visit.

Kelly said...

Wow, you are a spinning machine!!!

So sorry about your friend. :(....

Leigh said...

Tell Brian he did a great job modeling "his" yarn!

Kim said...

That's a lot of yarn! How wonderful.
So sorry about your friend too.