Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Can't stay blue...

...when yellows and reds grow out of trees!

Rick and I noticed this glorious fungus in its early stages last weekend. When I remembered it again this morning, it was in "full flower." I can only remember seeing it one other fall; don't know if I've missed it other years, or if it takes special conditions to grow. It's on the trunk of an ancient, mostly dead, cherry tree near the house. I assume it has a name; anyone know what it is?

I talked to my folks today; they were on their way home after having done most of what they could for my niece. They got a refund on their plane tickets to Oregon, but now have to start from scratch looking for reasonable fares and a time frame that works for their schedule. Sigh; I was so looking forward to seeing them now. :-(

I am enjoying our cooler, wetter, greener weather. My dahlias look pretty happy, too.
Not that I've been outside that much, other than to do chores and ride Lance. I've been spinning Browning's roving every chance I get; with the bottom of the bag in view, I've become a little, um, obsessed. The knitting part of my brain keeps trying to butt in with projects it wants to start, but the spinning part is on a roll and giving no ground.

That's it for today from . . .



7 comments:

melanie said...

Beautiful fungus!

2halves said...

Chicken mushrooms? Not completely sure but pretty none the less!+

Maureen said...

Wow, what beauty from fungus to flowers. Great photos Michelle.

farmlady said...

Those flowers are lovin' the rain and cool weather. They look happy.
Mine are still getting sprinkled with the hose. No rain yet!
That mushroom is, I believe, called Sulfur Shelf. 2halves was right. Its nickname is Chicken of the Woods. It's considered edible when young and tender, but often causes stomach problems, so I would leave it were it is. It sure is pretty to look at.

Susan said...

Your dahlias are beautiful! I hope your parents find a good fare and a 'soon' date.

C-ingspots said...

Your dahlias are beautiful Michelle! Are they bulbs or tubers?? I've never had a dahlia before, but would love to get some for their glorious color in the fall. Hope your mom and dad get to visit soon.

Mary Ann said...

Trying to get caught up... love the fungus... love, love the flowers! I'm reading backwards!