Friday, September 08, 2023

My final Fair post

"Saturday night in Toledo, Ohio...." John Denver fans will understand; another low-key evening at the State Fair is right up Rick's and my alley for Saturday night entertainment. There was a rousing marching band, The Beat Goes On (you can tell from the puddles that it rained some more):

but the rest of our time was spent looking in on animals mostly at rest:


there's a lively one in every crowd


sleeping cheek to cheek

spooning

this girl would spend the night there if allowed, according to her mom



This cria looked so sweet...

...until it woke up. Why ARE camellids so crabby???

such a good-looking doe

one last wood carving



Sunday afternoon Rick and I headed down to the Fair with intention. He, of course, had his official duties to fulfill, but we also planned to go to a Greek food cart (not the gyro stand that has long been a feature at the Fair) that we had been too late to patronize twice before. We intended to eat and then watch the Draft demo at 7:00, but the food was in such demand that we ended up having to pick up our order and run back to the horse show arena to eat while watching.

We had gotten wind that the Draft exhibitors planned to show off hitches of one to eight horses, the latter a not very common sight these days. A one-horse cart didn't materialize, but there were two, four, six, and eight-horse hitches. But first the color guard to open the evening's events, and then a "magic carpet ride" demo by a lady in costume:









Perspective is deceptive; four teams pretty much filled the arena.

The eight-up driver demonstrating how you maneuver to the out-gate.

After the draft demo was done, I made a beeline to the building housing the photography, calligraphy, and fine art exhibits, the last 'State Fair must-see' left on my list. On my way, I caught a cool view of the FairLift:

At the exhibit hall I did think to take a "proof of visiting" photo of a painting with glorious use of 'golden hour' light; mostly I just inspected and admired.

After that, it was time for one last stroll through the small animal and livestock barns. I have a special fondness for dairy goats; I had a couple Saanen does in the past just as pets (plus one companion pygmy). If it were up to me, I'd probably have a milk goat....

The show over, one can settle into comfy 'jammies.'

Golden Guernsey
Oberhaslis

Toggenburg kids playing 'king of the straw'

And with that, I bid adieu to our wonderful State Fair for another year!

Now it's time to catch you up on the home front . . . when next I can find the time to put another post together.

Until then, from . . .

5 comments:

A :-) said...

What a great time!! I'm kind of surprised that you didn't enter any of your wonderful handspun in the Fair :-) When I was in high school, a million years ago, I was visiting my grandfather in Florida. We went to a fair in Ft. Myers, and the Budweiser Clydesdales were one of the main events. Eight giant horses on the gallop into the arena. The ground literally shook. I was absolutely stunned (and just out of my own "horse phase"). I'd never seen or experienced anything like it - and I never have again. I can only imagine how strong the drivers are, and how well trained the horses. Thanks so much for sharing the fair again this year :-)

Michelle said...

When I looked through the spinning and knitting entries, A, I really wish I HAD entered some things, but I never think about it ahead of time to look up deadlines. Glad you enjoyed our Fair!

Leigh said...

What great photos, Michelle. The pigs made me smile! I love seeing the draft teams too. You have a fantastic state fair.

Michelle said...

The pigs are always a hoot, Leigh. It makes me sad to think they are mostly destined for a short life, then slaughter, as they are so very personable.

Jeanne said...

Thanks, Michelle, for sharing your Fair experiences! I love all the animal photos. They're so special. I would've loved to have gone!

The horses are fabulous. I've seen the Budweiser Clydesdales. They are beyond fabulous!

I'm looking forward to your next update!