Wednesday, April 21, 2021

A soundtrack for sadness


Yesterday Blaise acted like she was in early labor again. She didn't really want to go out to pasture with the rest of the ewes, and kept going back to the gate. I finally went down and opened it, and she walked herself right back into the fold.



I checked on her every hour or two, but nothing was happening. She was shivering a little, which seemed odd given our unusually warm spring weather, but otherwise acted content to be in the fold alone, not eating, not restless, not nesting, just . . . waiting. When it was time to bring the other ewes in, I put Blaise in the lambing jug so she could continue her solitary work undisturbed.

This morning Blaise was still shivering, and also grinding her teeth. I got an uneasy feeling. When I got back to the house I laid out the situation for Rick, and asked if he would check her out; I had to head to town for an 8:00 PT appointment. He left me a message that he gave her Nutri-Drench, calcium, and dexamethasone, thought she might have ketosis, and said the lamb wasn't yet in position (but the dex might help that). When I got home, Blaise was sweetly 'talking' to her sides, the first time I've witnessed a ewe do that. Heart warmed, I went to the house to eat and give her a bit more time. When I headed out to check on her again, I could hear a different kind of vocalization; she definitely sounded distressed. I ran down to the fold to find her straining and 'yelling,' and a lamb beginning to emerge. I got ahold of what I hoped were two front feet and tried to assist its exit. It was a very tight and clearly uncomfortable fit, but we got the lamb out. I cleared its nose, rubbed its side, swung it around, did fingertip CPR, but got nothing, no sign of life. Just a perfectly formed but deathly still black gulmoget ram lamb with a little white spot on his head. I ran back to the house to clip all my fingernails so I could go in and check in vain for another, hoping against hope that he might stir while I was gone, but he didn't. Although I never saw her check him out, I left them together for several hours while I sheared Bette hoping it would help her understand. But she continued to call plaintively off and on the rest of the day, even when I turned her and the rest of ewes out on pasture.

So much talking, and no little lamb to answer. It has been a sad day.

That's it for now from . . .

17 comments:

Mama Pea said...

So sorry to read this, Michelle. Losing an animal, in any way, is always so sad. I think especially so when it's one that's never given the chance to live. There's such a feeling of high hopes and expectancy looking forward to a birth, but then such a letdown when it goes badly. Hugs.

Retired Knitter said...

I kind of figured this story didn’t have a happy ending - based on the title. It is always sad when a new life doesn’t make it - doesn’t get a chance to even breath once. My heart goes out to you and Blaise.

Mountaingmom said...

Oh Michelle, that is so sad for both of you. They don't understand what has happened and the lose of a new life is heartbreaking. Thinking of you and hoping for better outcomes with the others.

Debbie said...

So very sorry to hear this Michelle.

Sending hugs....one for Blaise too.

take care

wyomingheart said...

Heartbreaking! So sorry!

Michelle said...

Mama Pea, I had especially high hopes and expectancy for Blaise's offspring with Spot. This is the first time I've bred her because it was the first time I had a ram that I thought would be a really good cross. Hopefully they can try again next year....

Thanks, Elaine. She is feeling loss; I am at a loss. There was no meconium, so the lamb must have died well before delivery. And he was so vigorous in the womb at least through Sunday or Monday! We have no clue why this outcome occurred.

Fran, I only bred three and one didn't settle, so now all my eggs are in one experienced but older ewe. I sure hope she has twins as she has before so there is a built-in playmate, but at this point a single healthy lamb would be a lift.

Thanks, Debbie; add prayers, too. Blaise still isn't doing very well; it was a hard delivery and we don't know why the lamb didn't survive.

Michelle said...

Thanks, wyomingheart. With all the anticipation, you really don't brace for this possibility – at least I didn't. 😔

Sandra at Thistle Cove Farm said...

Michelle, my heart breaks for you; it's so sorrowful to lost a lamb or ewe to death. You're in my prayers. Sandra at TCF

Florida Farm Girl said...

I'm sorry. It breaks your heart even though you do understand it. Let's hope she recovers quickly.

Leigh said...

Oh Michelle, I'm so, so sorry. Such a heartbreaking thing for both of you.

Jeanne said...

Oh, Michelle! I'm so sorry! My heart is breaking for you and Rick, too. Poor Blaise!
It's such a shock to have that happen. I really hope and pray that your other ewe does well! I know this is very difficult for you.f

Michelle said...

Thanks for your kind sympathy, Sandra, Sue, Leigh, and Jeanne. I think Blaise and I are both doing a little better today. We have to take what comes; this certainly hasn't been the lambing season I hoped for.

thecrazysheeplady said...

{{{hug}}}

A :-) said...

Oh no . . . I am so sorry. Poor Blaise. Poor you. :-(

Donna said...

I am so sorry Michelle.

Michelle said...

Thanks for all your help and support, Sara.

Blaise has finally stopped talking and acting bereft and seems to feel better, too, A.

Thanks, Donna. Better news today.

Eva Wilson said...

WHAT A BEAUTIFUL LITTLE CREATURE!! I sure hope you decide to keep her. She is so darn cute!!

Regards,
Online Essay Help