Friday, May 10, 2019

Meow. Woof(ed).

On this episode of the Chuckie Channel, our star enjoys his creature comforts, and sets a cleverly baited trap.










Jackson and I had gone to the barn for morning chores, and Chuckie really wanted attention. I was delighted to accommodate his wishes, since they indicated he was feeling much better. I sat down on the ground, and you can see what happened. I thought Jackson might lay down beside me, too, but he wasn't inclined to share in the lovefest. He finally settled nearby – with his back to us. 😆


The next day, Chuckie made himself adorably, irresistibly available for petting – but it was a trap. If I touched him anywhere (unless I v-e-r-y carefully navigated to the top of his head) he tried to grab and bite my hand. Oh, you sly creature!


Another day, another trap. 😊

#####################

In other news, shall we whine about the weather? Some of you are getting unending rain; we are getting blasted by an early summer. It's topped 90 more than once this week, and I've been watering almost non-stop. The grass is heading out – including that nasty foxtail; this week is probably the last pasture time the girls will get because of that. Rick started mowing the middle pasture, but it's too late; the awns are already mature enough to dry into little daggers. 

They're Shetlands; they're browsers!
This morning I pulled Sarai out to see if she could be rooed yet. When her fleece was still too firmly attached, I decided to just scissor-shear her. Oy; I think I'm getting slower! I spent three and a half hours on her before needing to dash to Salem to pick up Brian; I came back and spend two more hours finishing her up! It's pretty discouraging, not to mention hard on my back/body (Sarai wasn't too thrilled, either); I'm thinking that adding to my flock by breeding this fall would be 'shear' craziness. If I don't breed her this fall, though, Sarai is probably done producing; her front teeth are getting loose. I'll be keeping an eye on her weight to make sure she's managing okay.


Brian has been tackling the big job of weeding my whole arena so Rick doesn't spray my "playpen" with RoundUp. He's not doing it out of the goodness of his heart; I've promised him a new pair of cowboy boots if he finishes the job. I answered an online survey and ended up winning a gift certificate to one of my favorite brands; I can get Brian boots and several pair of jeans for myself!

Oh, on Monday I got these photos from Scotland mounted at work. They came from a Scottish blog I used to follow, inactive now. When I admired them, the photographer was kind enough to send me the files so I could print copies. I've had the prints and frames for quite some time but never got them hung at home, so I figured they may as well adorn the blank wall above my desk at the new office space!

That's it for now from . . .

7 comments:

Leigh said...

Chuckie! That's a cat for you, lol. So sorry to hear about your early summer. That's usually our bag, but this year it's been absolutely lovely. What a treasure those Scottish sheep photos are.

Michelle said...

Leigh, I know the weather has always been variable, but it does seem like it's been turned upside down all over now.

Mama Pea said...

A post all full of interesting things!

You are suffering with what must feel like mid-summer's heat and we've had snow covering the ground twice in the last week or so.

As far as Chuckie's antics . . . You.Have.A.Friend.

wyomingheart said...

Oh that little Chuckie...Chuckie...Chuckie! Thanks for sharing that little bugger … movie star!

thecrazysheeplady said...

I bet that was the blogger I was thinking about just the other day for some reason. Had a small flock and maybe was a research person or something?

Love Chuckie :-D

Michelle said...

Mama Pea, later this week our weather is supposed to return to what we're used to at this time of year, although there may not be much precipitation with it. Cooler will be nice, though!

Wyomingheart, you're welcome. 😍

Sara, I think that's Jenny Holden-Wilde you're thinking of. The blogger who shot these photos is a male photographer, not a female Shetland sheep breeder, but right now I can't remember the name of his blog.

Susan said...

Oh, Chuckie. What a completely adorable lovebug. Slimmie has been giving me love bites, too, out of the blue. I doubt if Jackson wants to share his mom with a, a, CAT. I'm glad you've found an alternative to Roundup - the scourge of the world (besides Trump). That stuff is poison to everything it touches. I just love those photographs!~ I, too, have photographs on my wall at work. They were shot by my favorite shepherdess..... :)