Saturday, November 21, 2015

Refugees welcome

We have had a bunch of pine siskins at our birdfeeder recently. Yesterday I stepped out onto the deck for something and noticed that they didn't fly away. Photo op!








The occasional chickadee was less comfortable with my presence; I was only able to capture one at a distance.

Later Rick asked me what kind of birds they were. When I told him, he said, "That's why there are so many of them!" – referring to the loss of evergreen habitat next door. I hadn't thought of that....



Late last night I couldn't sleep, and wandered out into the great room to look out over the moonlit landscape. I watched, thinking I might see some wildlife like deer or raccoons. Raccoons – I hadn't thought about them since the neighboring lot sold. The family that visits our birdfeeder at night always comes from that fence line. The thought of their home being destroyed made me sad. Hopefully they had made safe their escape, and found a new home in the woods to our south.

That's it for now from . . .


7 comments:

Leigh said...

Beautiful shots, Michelle! I am definitely in need of another camera.

Theresa said...

The pine siskins leave our little space come late fall.
The one silver lining Michelle is that the cutting was done in late fall. Most animals have already dispersed
with the leaving of their young. The youngsters may be off on their own finding new territories and the Momma hopefully has another safe kip to ride out the winter. The trees provide for so many things, some we think about, others we don't.

Mama Pea said...

Hey, I think those are "our" pine siskins! ;o} About a week ago, we had a large flock descend upon us . . . which didn't make us overjoyed as last winter literally hundreds came and stayed all winter. Not that that in itself was bad but they seemed to keep all the other birds away and there were so many of them that they almost covered the deck (by the feeders) with poop! This year, they came, they ate, they disappeared . . . and maybe headed West??

Sharon said...

Ian just noticed that we're getting pine siskins. He's got five bird feeders going and we're seeing a new and different birds to us. The flickers are my favorite - beautiful!

Michelle said...

Leigh, I picked up a second model of my Panasonic Lumix from eBay because I like it so much (and my first one has dust INside the lens which puts spots in sky shots).

I thought of that blessing, Theresa. It would REALLY break my heart to think of destroyed nestlings had they done this earlier in the year!

Mama Pea, when I looked them up on Cornell's "All About Birds," I learned that flock visitations are very unpredictable and irregular. We didn't budget for black oil seed all summer, so now that we have some, it is a joy to see ANY birds close up on our deck! It is some of the best entertainment available, in our opinion. ;-)

Sharon, I'm so glad you guys enjoy the same kind of entertainment! Yes, the flickers are beautiful – but can make themselves quite unwelcome when they start pounding on our house! I'd be hard pressed to name a favorite; I love the tiny nuthatches (which I haven't seen so far this fall), the dramatic and noisy Steller's jays, the oh-so-dapper Evening Grosbeaks, the chestnut-backed chickadees, the California quail.... ;-)

Unknown said...

You got some great pictures of the birds at the feeder. Glad they were up for a photo shoot.

C-ingspots said...

Beautiful shots! Thinking about that would make me sad for all the little critters too. :(