Monday, June 10, 2013

Byes and baas

Yesterday Cadbury and Bonny left for their new home in Washington to produce beautiful, fine-fleeced offspring for their new owner. Cadbury gets a harem of four this fall; he should be a happy rammy!
Excuse his wonky stance; he wasn't at all sure about the situation!

Oh Bonny; ewe's not just fluffy – ewe's FAT! This girl definitely needs to lose some weight before breeding season to improve her chances of conceiving.
"What are they doing with that sheep?"
"Uh-oh, she's looking at ME. Better stand up tall and suck in my gut!"
"Diet?!? BAAAAAAAD idea!!!"

Homebred Bonny was my friendliest sheep; Brian didn't want her to go. She has always been a loud-mouth, too. I understand she yelled all the way to her home (over three hours!), but settled in quickly with her new flock.

Her old flock didn't seem to miss her in the least. Not that things were quiet here – but only because I played "Upset the Fruit Sheep Basket"! With Cadbury gone, I was anxious to return Blake and Browning to a more normal sheepy existence. (You may remember that to protect life and limb, I had to put the all the boys "in separate corners.") Since three sheep get along better than two, I pulled big Bart from the Sheep Sheraton group, then put Blake and the two big wethers in the narrow lot between the barn and the arena. I figured fresh grass – which Blake and Browning haven't had access to in quite awhile – would help keep everyone occupied and bad behavior to a minimum.
The way to a man's heart....

Bart didn't like this new arrangement or the way Blake was looking at him,
"Aren't you my daddy? Why are you looking at me like THAT?!?"

and complained loudly about it all day.

This evening I was able to catch and halter all three boys – something I wasn't sure I was going to be able to accomplish – and put them back in the ram lot attached to the Ram-ada Inn. The gate to the Inn is tied open with hay inside, though I doubt anyone is hungry. I can still hear Bart occasionally through my open window; I hope he doesn't keep the neighbors (or me!) up all night.

That's all the sheepy news for now from . . .


13 comments:

Tombstone Livestock said...

Does this mean there will be room at Boulderneigh soon for new lambs?

Michelle said...

Why yes, yes, it does! ;-)

The only problem is the 9+ months I still have to wait. :-(

thecrazysheeplady said...

Those boys...

Thirteen Sheep (Or More) said...

Boys will be boys!

Retired Knitter said...

And this is why we could not be neighbors. I would have been out there complaining that you were selling that beautiful fellow who I would have made into a pet by that time and could not be parted from.

I would make a terrible farmer.

Have you read the book Sheepish? It is about two women who start a sheep farm. Fun read.

Susan said...

My goodness. Bonny would have fit right in with my 'fluffy' sheep. I love the description - upset the sheep basket. They sure don't like ANY changes, do they? I am down to two sheep, but I have the llama, so that seems to balance things out. Your sheep are so darn gorgeous, Michelle. I can't wait for the new lambs!!!

Michelle said...

Sue, if Cadbury had not found a breeding home he was to be wethered as a fiber pet, so you would have been happy. ;-) It IS hard to part with ANY of them, but I can't keep them all unless, like Sara, I am just going to keep a spinner's flock and forego lambs. But I'm also happy to see a new Shetland breeder interested in fine-fleeced Shetlands and provide her with good breeding stock. (She has cashmere goats and wants wool suitable for blending with cashmere.)

Michelle said...

Me, either, Susan! Join me in crossing all fingers and toes for GIRLS....

Michelle said...

I'm just glad to have reduced the testosterone carriers by half!

Michelle said...

A necessary "evil" if I want lambs, I'm afraid. ;-)

Mary Ann said...

Gosh, I learn something new about sheep every time I read your blog, Michelle! I'm going to look for the book "Sheepish", too!

Anonymous said...

Oh that book Sheepish is hysterical and she has another book about their life on the sheep farm.. I haven't read it yet but it's on my summer reading list for sure.
Michelle, my fingers and toes are crossed for ALL GIRLS!!!
Hugs,
Beth P

Kelly said...

Sheepish is a great read.....I laughed out loud while reading it. And, I could totally relate to a lot of the things she'd written.
Goodbye's are bitter sweet because your glad they are finding good homes, but you will miss them too. heavy sigh