Thursday, April 12, 2012

Thrilled on Thursday

I got my micron test results back from Texas AgriLife Research today, and am THRILLED to report that all my breeding stock are in the "superfine" or "fine" category of Oliver Henry's Shetland fleece grading system! This includes Boulderneigh Blake and Boulderneigh Bonny, the two who were bred and raised here, as well as five sheep I have purchased from others. Of course, micron test results aren't everything, so I'm tickled that each of my sheep also feels soft and has good staple length, along with good breed characteristics and conformation. Yes, there's always room for improvement. But I'm pinching myself because I can hardly believe how much my flock has improved in a few short years. As I've said before, I owe so much to several breeders who have been at this far longer than I have, and their excellent stock who have joined my little flock. Onward and forward!

Ecstatic at . . .

5 comments:

Tombstone Livestock said...

Congratulations on your results.

Cloverleaf Art and Fibre said...

That's wonderful Michelle! Happy animals and beautiful fleeces -- keep up the good work.

Kelly said...

Isn't it just the best thing ever to get back great results that verify what we think our hands tell us about our wool?
I know I continue to be surprised by how different qualities affect the handle, but that's just plain fun stuff to learn too.
Congrats on your great results.

Kelly said...

Isn't it just the best thing ever to get back great results that verify what we think our hands tell us about our wool?
I know I continue to be surprised by how different qualities affect the handle, but that's just plain fun stuff to learn too.
Congrats on your great results.

Deb W said...

Woo-hoo!!! I'm glad I got dibbs on Bramble!! Even though there were no before and after shots of her at shearing! :-) I can hardly wait!