Monday, September 29, 2008

OFFF, the show

Good morning! To answer Pamela's question, the photo heading yesterday's post was not taken from our house, but from our mailbox at the beginning of the gravel road that leads to our house, just 2/10ths of a mile north. The photo above was taken over our barn on my way down to do chores this morning. Trees block our view of the named peaks except at strategic points on our property; Rick threatens to take out some of the Douglasfirs so we can see Mt. Hood and Mt. Jefferson better. I'd rather have the trees....

The Shetland classes at OFFF were large, as usual. In the past there was no limit on the number of entries per exhibitor; this year there was a limit of two - allowing everyone to fit in the ring. The judge was Kiwi Ian Stewart, an interesting and entertaining character!

This was the yearling ram class. The two rams closest to the camera were Wally Rutledge's, and took first and second. I bought my first two Shetlands from Wally at WhiteOak Shetland Ranch, and was glad to see him do so well.

Above was the ram lamb class, and the first and second place lambs. That's Suzie Sizemore of Misty View Farm with her winning lamb and Tom Deschler of Cedar Haven Farm with the second place finisher. The third photo shows a notable presence in the ring, Martin Daily of Top Ram "fame" presenting a ram lamb for a client. I was asked to run an errand during the champion ram class, so didn't get a photo or a report on who won Champion and Reserve Champion honors.

Above are the yearling ewe class, the ewe lamb class, and Champion and Reserve Champion ewes. Congratulations to Sandy Lyda of Honey Lane Farm, whose lovely Champion Ewe lamb also went on to win Best Fleece (below)!

This was the Young Flock class. I didn't catch who won (I just know it wasn't the group I helped handle). Thanks to Tammy for taking photos when I had to be in the ring helping!

That's the report from . . .

6 comments:

Kathy said...

Neat pictures! But where are your guys? ;-)

Mim said...

These are times I wished I lived closer to the big sheep shows in Oregon. Nice pictures.

~~Sittin.n.Spinnin said...

If I had payed attention to what weekend OFFF was I would have went. I had been planning to go to OR in Oct anyway (had is the oprative word here), and found out last Sat that a woman from Elko was going to OFFF, but it wasnt enough notice, I missed my chance lol
Oh well, maybe next year :)

Gone2theDawgs said...

I JUST remembered I was supposed to take pics of the sheep with the ribbons on their fleeces....sigh. Too much excitement for me...and I sure as heck can't remember everyones name at this point!!

Sharon said...

The year we were able to stop by, Laura introduced us to Mary Beth Bullington, from whom we bought two of our boys - the others came from Mim. You didn't mention Mary Beth - I wonder if she was there. That year her fleeces did well in the fleece show. Of course, ours are spinable pets - Amy called them fleece dogs.

Michelle said...

Yes, Sharon, Marybeth was indeed there; you can see her with her Reserve Champion Ewe lamb in the photo that's third from last. Tammy took home one of her pretty sheep along with my Valentine.

Kathy, the only "guy" I have is Braveheart; he and Brava were the only intact sheep of appropriate age that I could have shown, and Brava's tail is very floofy. It wasn't worth the time, money and hassle to show da man....