Friday, November 30, 2007

A rare November

This week the weatherman has been saying that snow could fall in the Portland area tomorrow. In commenting on any earlier chances, he said that snow has fallen in Portland (I think the airport is the "official" location) only five times in the last 50 years. Well, Mr. Weatherman, it may not be snowing at the airport, but this is what it looks like at my house this morning!The deer and the boy don't seem to mind, but I'm thinking snow would feel awfully cold on tender puppy paws.

Since today starts the open advertising weekend on the Yahoo Shetland list and I am ever the optimist, I took my camera to the barn this morning for fresh photos of Bella. Above is her fleece at mid-side -- wow! It has density, crimp, luster, nice handle -- and at least a 7" staple! (I happen to think that's a good thing. :-) I could easily lust after that fiber, but have to remind myself that I have her lamb fleece. Besides, my husband is getting mighty edgy about the number of sheep we may have come spring if Braveheart does his job (he and Valentine mated last night, so that makes two girls covered for sure). I NEED to sell this girl before lambing begins!!!
That's it for now at . . .

10 comments:

~~Sittin.n.Spinnin said...

Arrrgggghhhh!! I love wool. I love sheep. and I keep thinking that I can have one of each breed and then realize that I really cant. Wish I could buy your Bella, but alas! only so much room on 5 acres. :-)
When it comes time though, I would entertain the possiblility of buying a fleece! My corner never has enough fleece in it lol

Michelle said...

I know what you mean about having room, because we have just five acres as well. And my little sheepies must share it with my big horses!

Let me know when you want a fleece....

Lauren Dorsee Dillon said...

Oh, I love the snow and miss it so. There's nothing like that feeling of waking up expecting nothing special and finding virgin snow in the yard. I commit the green of the seven deadly sins more often than I should each time I read your blog.

Happily, I am not currently doing so as it is RAINING right now, the first time in months and, although I'd prefer snow, I am loving the change in the weather. Rain on the roof, I think that sound is mighty fine.

Curiousity wise, how much of the year do your guys graze and how many months do you give them hay? Since we truck in year round, I am curious about those with pasture and the needed acreage for grazing sheep.

Kathy said...

We're into heavy rain/snow/sleet here, Michelle. Plus I just got in a weather advisory for terrible winds tomorrow. Oi! I've been reading and stoking the woodburner all day! :)

~~Sittin.n.Spinnin said...

I am perfectly happy with snow as long as I dont have to go out into it, and incredibly, that isnt possible with livestock; course thats why I have kids lol
I am curious about people with grazing too Lauren, we feed hay year round, its not easy to grow grass in Nevada, its more like pulling toenails.

Michelle said...

We probably get three months of actual hay-free grazing for the horses, less for the sheep since the pastures aren't dual-purpose fenced (I wish they were; DH isn't inclined) and the hoards of deer help themselves. Mostly it's "turn-out" for everyone's mental health during the dry season. We keep the horses in during the rainy season, or they would churn what pasture we have to muddy mess, and likely hurt themselves in the process. We figure 10-12 tons of grass hay a year for the horses, another one or two for the sheep. I would love to have more pasturage, but land values are steep here. I heard on the news that we are in the only part of the country not experiencing a housing slump; our prices haven't come down, sales are just slowing a bit.

Sharon said...

You asked me if our guys eat the sagebrush. Well, they have and what's left is stumps. Pulling sagebrush stumps is just as much like pulling toenails as is growing hay in Nevada. We don't know anyone with a Bobcat or anything small enough to brush hog it, so I'm calling it part of the landscape.

Franna said...

You're advertising Bella... does that mean you sold Rechel? Whoever bought her got a nice ewe with great lineage!
- Franna

Michelle said...

I still have Rechel. Since no one bought her before breeding season, she's in with Braveheart. Now I'd like to see what she produces with him, so I'm not inclined to let her go cheap. If someone really wanted her I would consider selling her bred, but not at a bargain-basement price like I'd take for Bella.

Ebonwald Cardigans said...

that ewe is adorable Michelle. Wish you still lived in Perham! :) :) :) How fun would THAT be!