Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Pictorial update on the lambs

That's my beautiful Brava (looking a bit washed out by the camera's flash), who is steadily learning that humans can give pleasant sensations with their hands and often come bearing yummy things to eat.

Today is Braveheart's three-month "birthday," so I took my camera and a ruler with me when I did chores this morning to measure and document his scurs. They are still small and even, showing little or no growth in the short time I've had him.
As you can see, they are no wider than 1/4 inch at the base, and no more than 1/4 inch in height. While I still have many months to wait to see what he'll end up with, so far I'm very pleased with how little horn material Braveheart has.

Last night I put bigger coats on Dinah and Rechel, which should be more comfortable in this heat wave we're having. (Sorry, no pics of their beautiful, clean fleeces!) Fortunately, they have lots of shade and a nice breeze to help keep them as cool as possible. Valentine and Bella get the coats just removed once they are dry from washing. Bella's current coat REALLY looks like it's bursting at the seams!

That's it for now at . . .

3 comments:

Kathy said...

It's good to see everyone is settling in just fine! :) I put larger coats on some of the sheep before my surgery and imagine they'll be ready for bigger sizes when I get a "go" to be able to work with them again - I have a long list of things to do like ear tags, etc.

Were all your animals glad to see you home? Did Rosie go with you? And how are the cats?

Tammy said...

Hi Michelle,
I enjoyed seeing updated photos of the lambs! I've added a bunch of photos of my lambs over on my blog---one features my moorit lambs from this year. I thought it was funny as once more are posts are in a similar vein!
Tammy

Lauren Dorsee Dillon said...

They are both getting lovelier as they grow, great faces, nice fleece, and, for a shepherd who wanted a polled ram, I think you got it. I wish you continued good luck with the newbies. When do they get to join the rest?