Sunday, August 27, 2006

Bye-bye, Bobby!

Well, Bobby (Boulderneigh Bobwhite) is gone, hopefully settling in at his new home. He was my first sale, and a needful one, as he is related to all my girls and I don't want to keep a ram. Bobby's new owner was looking for a pure white ram with good conformation and fleece. She had only seen photos of him before today, but seemed pleased with her purchase. He was pretty stressed about leaving his mother and his home and taking a trip in a large dog crate in the back of the pick-up, but he did show a little interest in the two pretty little ewe lambs in his new pasture. Rumor has it he is getting a whole FLOCK of girls to service this fall -- go Bobby! I'll be interested to learn how he produces, and whether or not his horns turn out okay. He is so nice in every other way....

Getting him into the bed of my pick-up and then into the crate was easier than I expected. My husband and his muscles were out of town, but I had a bank to back up to!


Yesterday I took some photos of Bobby for my records, and he posed like a young man ready to be off and make his own way in the world.




Brian was sad about selling Bobby, and wanted to say good-bye over and over again. This evening he asked me how often we could go visit Bobby. Since Bobby now lives an hour and a half away, I told Brian I didn't think we would be visiting him at all. Brian said he would miss Bobby forever....


Bobby, be good!


That's it for now at . . .

3 comments:

Nancy K. said...

As if letting the lambs go isn't hard enough! I once broke my oldest grandson's heart by selling "his" ewe. But she no longer fit into my breeding program ~ and I don't have the room to keep any extra sheep as pets (except, of course, Alice ~ when her productive days are done). Since then, the grandkids pick out "their lamb" every year with the knowledge that, next year, they'll pick a new one. This works in theory.

Josh still says he misses Promiss...

Kathy said...

I faced the same thing this year, Michelle....a ram lamb, beautiful, but related to all my ewes and since we don't live in Alabama it just wouldn't have worked out. ;-) Tee-Hee.
He is a very nice looking young fellow. Too bad I didn't live closer!
It's hard to let them go, but Nancy's right...they just keep making more of themselves and it's something we all have to face - or keep buying property.

Michelle said...

It was hard at first, but now everyone seems to be okay with it. The whole flock (hee hee - my two ewes and one ewe lamb) is quieter - not just 25% quieter!

As far as keeping pets, I figure if I have to justify keeping someone in the future, "I'm keeping them for their fleece." :-)