Friday, January 01, 2021

Hydro and horses make for a happy new year


The well was refitted with new pump, pipe and wiring yesterday, so we are back in the land of those blessed with sweet well water at the touch of a tap. It took awhile to rinse out the rust from the well casing and oil from the old, failed pump; the well guy asked for a clean white container to monitor it at the well head. Then I had to run the water down at the barn for awhile to flush out more of the same before using it anywhere. But once I could, I ran the dishwasher, took a shower, washed two loads of clothes, and scrubbed the toilets. Today we put away all the Christmas stuff and hauled out the tree, then I vacuumed the house thoroughly. It feels GOOD to start the year with a clean house!

It also feels good to start the year with the one tradition I hold dear – being on the back of a horse on New Year's Day. The forecast was for a dry window in the morning before DAYS of rain moved in, so I didn't dawdle. First I rode Lance down the lane (after warming him up in the arena); then I worked with Stella and sat on her back for awhile. (Asking for her to actually move with me on her back today would not have been a good idea.)


As long as I don't get sucked into the teen's sullenness over his university's requested quarantine period prior to heading back to campus, I'd say this year is starting out just FINE, thankyouverymuch. I pray it is for all of you, too.
A bright Spot in 2020 – and 2021!

Happy New Year from . . .


8 comments:

Retired Knitter said...

So far - it is just fine here as well. Of course, it is ONLY day 2! hahaha. But the world just looks better with a vaccine in it!!! Thank you scientists for the vaccine, and thank you God for the brain that you gave man! Now if we can just install our new President sooner - I think we will have a better year for sure!

Mama Pea said...

Hip-hip-hooray for an ample supply of water! What a relief it must have been to have that back. Good luck with sullen teen for the next 9 days. You could give him the ultimatum of not quarantining and staying home, not going back to school. Oh, wait. That might be a terrible thought for all concerned. ;o)

wyomingheart said...

Wondrous water! Blessings for sure!

Jeanne said...

Thanks for this post. You must have been exhausted after all that work following the well repair! But what a relief to have that lovely water again!! I can't imagine how you got along without it! It had to be miserable.

It's so great to see that you can sit on Stella's back. I look forward to the day when you'll be riding her down the lane!

I pray that all will go well for you, Rick and Brian in this new year

Donna said...

Happy New Year!!! It sounds like you are off to a great start.

Michelle said...

You'll be in line for the vaccine before I will, Elaine! Now if only all mankind would USE the brains God gave each one....

Yes, indoor running water is such a blessing, Mama Pea and wyomingheart. I was starting to contemplate how to illegally collect rainwater for at least the toilets and livestock (can you believe you have to have such government permits for such things???)

Jeanne, I've been able to sit on Stella for quite some time, and was doing some riding around the arena with just a halter, too. But without the turnout she was getting during the summer, she's just too full of exuberance to safely do that now.

Thanks, Donna; I hope so!

A :-) said...

Yes! Water! The water went off here this summer - they said it was a broken pipe. We never got a boil order, but I was cautious anyway. I know you're glad to have your water back on.

Mary Ann said...

I know you will understand this. We replaced our well pump (120 feet) in 2011. I always, always make sure I have enough in the savings account to do it again, I will never forget it!