Thursday, November 05, 2020

Home fires burning

We've had a few nights cold enough for a fire. Poppy approves.


We've also had some unusually warm and sunny days. Poppy approves.


We've watched more fun stuff than news-that-is-not-really-news, complete with popcorn. Poppy approves.

Outside, there's 'fire' on the ground, in the trees, and oftentimes in the morning sky. I approve.








The red-hot fire of desire (or at least hormones) has alway burned bright in Blaise, but she's "always a bridesmaid, never the bride."

Let's hope she's as keen to be a mother as she is to meet a ram, because her fortunes are about to change. On November 1, Bardot did indeed leave for a new home in Washington state . . . and a new ram arrived at Boulderneigh! Meet Spot – officially Rockinghills Ink & Spots:

I can't adequately convey how thrilled I am with this handsome three-year-old. Spot fulfills every single thing on my mental "ideal ram wish list" with his size and structure, fleece quality, intensity of color, smooth poll (no horns), and fun splashes of white spotting. I would love to put all seven of my ewes to him to see what he throws with each one, but that could result in a tripling of my flock size – way too many sheep for my facilities. So as soon as he finishes quarantining in the Ram-ada Inn with the wethers,


I plan to introduce him to Blaise, Sarai, and Vienna, as they are my three oldest ewes. Hopefully he and the younger girls will have plenty of opportunities to produce fine-fleeced offspring in future years.

I think Blaise – and Spot – will approve. 😉

I'm dreaming of a 'shepherd's Christmas' at . . .

10 comments:

Leigh said...

Another beautiful collection of photos from Michelle! Thank you! A lovely, positive way to start the day.

Cappy said...

Wow! Look at his color! LOVE!

Sharrie Brockhaus said...

Oh, goody!! That means you will have lambs in the spring.

Tim B. Inman said...

Lambs are fun, but dogs are better - for me at least. My Dad raised sheep when I was a kid. We always had a pet lamb following us around. My brother and I helped stomp down the fleece into the giant burlap bag when it was shearing time. Maybe that taints my view!

Poppy looks like one fine bundle of energy and fun. I like an alert dog with plenty of energy and a 'don't tell me it can't be done' attitude. Joyce and I raised Cocker Spaniels when we were young, and I always had black labs when I was a boy. Poppy looks like even more fun! Cheers and thanks for the pics!

Mama Pea said...

Poppy seems to ooze personality through your pictures! And although I know nothing about sheep, Spot looks like such a purdy boy. Hope he proves out to fulfill all your expectations of him!

Retired Knitter said...

I know nothing about sheep, but I agree - he is a handsome lad - and he should make handsome offspring.

Michelle said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed the photos, Leigh – there were a LOT of them! Close to home – and heavenward – are the most positive places to focus for me.

Yes, he is true, jet black, Cappy, a nice change/addition to all the 'faders' in my flock over the years.

Yes, Sharrie, hopefully at least a few! He is unproven, but I've never had a Shetland shoot blanks.

Tim, I think you'd find Shetland sheep much different than the "big whites" of your youth. For one, they wag their naturally short, undocked tails when you pet them! I wouldn't want a whole pack of dogs, but definitely NEED one or two in my life at all times. You should see Poppy at agility class; she can hardly STAND to wait her turn to do the obstacles! And we're doing them successfully off-leash, which rather amazes me.

Mama Pea, Poppy is much more of a 'spurter' than an 'oozer' – ha! Nothing low-energy in this dog unless she's actually asleep. Interestingly enough, she does relax more when napping than Jackson did. He never quite closed his eyes until he got very old. I think he just had to keep his eye on me, dear devoted dog.

I sure hope so, Elaine!

FullyFleeced said...

congrats on the new ram. whata handsome boy!

Jeanne said...

Nothing like being a "little" late in making a reply! I've been behind in reading my emails.

Love all your pictures!! Poppy is always adorable. Spot is a very handsome fellow. I can hardly wait to see his offspring! I'm happy for you that you were able to get him.

How is your work with Stella going?

I hope your weekend is going well.

A :-) said...

So excited for your new ram! Congratulations!!