Friday, June 26, 2020

Homefront hodgepodge

After the cool and wet first half of June, it's gotten hot. The garden seems to be taking it in stride. The photos below start on June 12, where you can see the parsley going to seed on the left edge of the photo and the beets going to seed on the right side of the photo, threatening to take over the sugar peas.

By June 19, I had hacked back the parsley and had Brian yank out those overwintered beats, and it looks much tidier. The black plastic is my experimental sweet potato bed. So far, ten of the eleven slips are hanging in there.

All six of the Red Kuri winter squash seeds that Mama Pea sent me germinated – and are taking off.
I still haven't gotten help getting those water lines hooked up and functioning (various parts need to be replaced). But I did finally get a soaker hose on the bush beans and sugar peas this week – which made both plantings shoot up at least six inches!

I picked up a couple more tomato plants so have a total of nine now. The last two I got are called "Pink Bumble Bee," a new-to-me variety. There are quite a few little green tomatoes on various plants, but there is also something strange going on with five of the first six plants I bought. The top of the plants look 'club-footed' for lack of a better description. (The only reason the sixth plant doesn't have this is because a deer nipped off the top of the plant and it hasn't generated any new growth yet.) It looks nasty, and yet the plants are still producing flowers and fruit. Anyone know what it is, and what I should do about it???
I've picked strawberries five times now (I actually got help from Brian the last time!), and have put 27 pints in the freezer in addition to what we've eaten fresh (including a strawberry rhubarb pie I made for Fathers Day). There will be a few more, but not likely another big picking.

Three of my four daylily varieties are blooming now. The Stella D'Oros have been going for awhile now:
Then these on the south side of the house started in. This variety didn't bloom at all last year!
The tall lemon yellow ones under our double-flowering cherry have just started blooming; the dark red ones planted in between them alternate with have buds but no flowers yet.
Inside, my cheery 36th anniversary orchid is blooming away – and a wee orchid I bought for myself (last year?) has a new flower stalk!


Poppy's heat cycle grinds on; wearisome for man and beast. Her wardrobe has expanded; she got 'panties' to keep from dripping in the house and I picked up a pink harness for a buck at the local shelter's thift store that she can't slip. When we go for walks she begs to go into the neighbor's lot to play with her friends; twice now there's been a puppy party in progress to which she wasn't invited. 😢 😞

The sharp-eyed among you might notice a third dog in that photo (there were actually two more – then). The last time Poppy got to play with Toby (the 'neighbor boy') and Milo (the springer), Milo's owners mentioned they had been searching for an Aussie and had finally found one. They drove clear to a rescue in Florida(!) for lovely little Freya, a black tri-color no bigger than Poppy and Milo. Um, yeah; that black tri-color Aussie looks considerably bigger, doesn't he? Big enough that Freya is hidden on the other side!

Last Thursday a dear friend messaged me about her travails. Her husband died last year so she recently sold her home in Oregon and moved in with her sister in Washington. Among other problems, Jeannie's dogs weren't working out as guests in her sister's antiques-stuffed abode with three resident canines; she was going to have to rehome them. My heart immediately broke for her and for her dogs, a small, shaggy blond pound puppy and Maui, a big, beautiful Aussie. I would have offered to take them but knew that Rick would not approve, so I went into helper mode. I asked a bunch of questions and started thinking of possible placements. The next evening I rode Lance down to get the mail and met Milo's people, now with Freya in tow. Before I even thought it through I asked, "You wouldn't be interested in a full-sized Aussie, would you?" "YES!" they responded, and I got their contact info to pass on to my friend. The next day, I texted the 'neighbor boy's' owner. They have mentioned getting a second dog; would they be interested in Minnie, Jeannie's other dog? Possibly!

To make a short story shorter, all of Milo's family (three men, two dogs) drove up on Sunday and came back with Maui, and my neighbor made the same drive on Wednesday and came back with Minnie. So although they no longer live in the same home, they do live on the same lane and have frequent meet-ups together, and although my friend is heartbroken, she feels good about their new homes. Poppy has gotten to meet Freya, Maui, and Minnie through the fence, and can't wait to JOIN in the fun! Oh, and Jeannie sent something back for me:

She made this for me for Christmas, but we never managed to get together. I will treasure it; it features sheep, which is how we met and became fast friends.

Back to Poppy. She isn't as interested in playing right now and leaving her outside unsupervised is out of the question, so we've had to wear her out in other ways. I take her to the barn with me for chores, but that's not enough. Enter a surprising turn of events: three times this week Rick has gotten up early and gone for a WALK! I think that's more than he's voluntarily gotten up early or exercised in all of 2020 before this week! I don't know if he is having cardiac symptoms that are worrying him or what, but a long walk first thing in the morning is a sanity-saver for our pup and her people.

Brian started work today, and is ready to quit. 😒 He'd been planning to drive combine again this summer, but we've pointed out that with college to help pay for, he needed gainful employment for more than five weeks this summer. He applied at a few places with no luck, so when I pointed out that Monrovia Nursery, just five miles from home, had "Now Hiring" signs out, he agreed to apply. He was hired, doesn't like the manual labor, and is hounding his old combine crew boss to PLEASE find more work for him so he can switch employers. Bad form (especially with the racially-charged description he gave for the work today) according to the way I was raised, and bad crowd over at the custom farming outfit, but I'm guessing Rick will let him. That means a repeat of last summer; not fun. 😖

The sheepy boys are back in the long strip between the horse paddocks and arena; the grass has grown up again nicely so they are appreciating the forage. All three have gained weight and are looking better; I've been giving them supplemental feed each evening.


As you can see, the neighbor's house looms over us, built on the highest point of their land as it is. At least at the front of our house trees screen most of the view.



Oh, hey, good news; I finally got a haircut after five months! And she cut it so short I won't need a haircut for another five months! So I'll only have to spring for three haircuts in 2020; woohoo!!! (Trying to look at the glass half full here; work with me. 😉)

That's the photo-heavy update from . . .

12 comments:

Florida Farm Girl said...

Hey There. Those strawberries look to die for. Absolutely nothing better than picked at the peak of ripeness and used right away. Your daylilies look great. We don't have too many of them. I dislike that the blooms are only there for ONE DAY. Isn't it wonderful when a plan comes together and the pups found new homes?

Michelle said...

Sue, I am always loathe to pick flowers, as I like to see them outside, so "shelf-life" isn't a factor for me. Each daylily blossom may only last a day, but they keep opening new buds so it is a steady show. And YES, so glad I was able to help with relocating Jeannie's dogs, especially where I can see them often and give her updates!

Leigh said...

Your garden is looking good! Except that tomato. Very odd, I've never seen anything like it before. Hopefully, someone will recognize the problem and have an answer.

So nice you could help with your friend's dogs. I'm guessing she will really appreciate the updates.

Goatldi said...

Very kind of you to help rehome tne pups.

I have no clue what your visitor is. Looks as if it should be singing “feed me”.

Fat Dormouse said...


Those two dogs look so appealing I would have taken them both!! I'm glad you were able to help find good homes.

Your neighbours house is a bit er - obvious? I suppose it's a reasonably attractive building, but still it's definitely "there" isn't it?!

Mokihana said...

I love your hodgepodge post. Like my "Da Kine" ones. Your garden looks absolutely wonderful! We have to use tubs for everything because our land is so steep and there's no room for in-ground veggies where there's sun.

I miss our Aussie so much, so I was delighted to read about Maui. I'm so glad he has a new forever home.

R's Rue said...

Love. ❤️

Michelle said...

Leigh (and everyone else), my blogpal Adrienne did some sleuthing and sent me the following link, which seems to explain my problem. I must say that "herbicide carryover" is a pretty scary thing to have in my homegrown food source! https://denvergardeners.wordpress.com/tag/tomatp-plant-problems/

Haha, Goatldi; that would be the pot of catnip on my deck!

I would have if I could have, Alison! And yes, the neighbor's house is definitely "there."

Mokihana, I think I would prefer container gardening, as it's basically small raised beds. And I miss our Aussie terribly, too.... :'-(

Thanks, Rue.

Retired Knitter said...

Gosh, that picture of you house and the new house on the hill - closer than I imagined. I imagine that is hard for you guys having had such distance from others.

A :-) said...

Hopefully that's what was wrong with the tomatoes - I would still check with your county extension, though.

The framing on the new house stands out because it's light plywood. Hopefully when the exterior is done it will be in better harmony with its surroundings. I have to say count your blessings, though. You can be thankful that they haven't painted it Swimming Pool Blue like my neighbors did with their house. It certainly makes it easy for people to find my house ("it's the white house next to the blue house . . ."), but geez it's hideous.

Mama Pea said...

Your garden looks great, not a weed in sight. Well, it all looks great except for that scary tomato problem! Geesh. Your Red Kuri squash plants look exactly like mine. I sure hope we both get good results from them.

Sorry to see the new house next door is so visible for you. It will look better when it's done, but still . . .

What a wonderful help you were in re-homing those two pups for your friend. It's always a sad thing to have to re-home pets. But in most cases, I think it's the people who worry more about it than the pets if they are relocated to good homes. And it seems these two have been.

Cappy said...

I'm really sorry Brian feels the way he does about working at a production greenhouse. Things always growing, things always changing, working with the cycle of the seasons. I'd rather work there than tied to a desk, and I did, but financially it couldn't last as a single person living where I do.

I've bought many Monrovia brand plants out here near DC. Nice quality merchandise, something to be proud of.

Hope you figure out the tomato issue. Haven't seen that one before...