Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Checking in after a busy week

 Yep; I've been busy as a bee!

My mom arrived last Thursday night for a visit and just left today. (But before heading home to Texas, she's continuing on to Alaska to visit her brother.) We talked and cooked and shopped; we went to church and visited Deepwood Estate and drove by Brian's school; she wanted a 'project' while she was here – and peach season provided for her wishes.
Matchy-matchy!

These are our favorite variety, Canadian Harmony, hard to find except for the small orchard just downhill from us. We will relish every morsel of these fresh and frozen, as the owner tore out half his small orchard last year and plans to tear out the rest this winter. 😭 I guess wine grapes are more profitable. 😖

In spinning news, I finished this spindleful this month and will start on the second half of the braid soon. Since this is for a spindle-spinning challenge on Ravelry, I won't be using my new tool, but can hopefully 'play' with it soon, too!

That's an Electric Eel Wheel Nano, a tiny little e-spinner I backed on Kickstarter and received Saturday. I know; I know. I don't need another spinning tool, but I think it will be a fun little travel wheel and the price was hard to beat.

Brian's combine driving job ended last week, so he's back to working with his dad until school starts two weeks from today(!). A week from today they will be spending part of every workday at the State Fair, where Rick has been contracted to provide veterinary services again. Brian will also be driving Shires in the draft horse show again, his last year in the Youth division; he is getting in his first driving practice tonight. And so zooms by the rest of summer 'vacation.' 😳

This pooch has rallied a little bit, apparently thanks to the Adequan injections. In fact, he's gone walk-about once each of the last three days, the first time he's had enough comfort and energy to do more than the bare minimum in weeks. The first time, Monday night, he had us in a panic, because we couldn't find him anywhere after letting him out for a bedtime potty break. Rick and I hunted with flashlights all over the property and beyond until midnight, when Brian called to us from the house, saying Jackson was waiting on the front porch. Apparently coming back from being on death's doorstep has given him permission to shed the "good dog" mantle, because he has studiously ignored me the next two excursions even though I could SEE where he had wandered off to – and I know he saw me! 😂


Caught up for now from . . .

9 comments:

Retired Knitter said...

Nice pics of your mom!

That Jackson!! Just glad he is doing somewhat better! These "little" demonstrations of just how much our pets mean to us ... they age us. Ha!

Michelle said...

Thanks, Elaine. Yes, I am delighted to be exasperated at Jackson, to still HAVE him to laugh at the changes in him!

Mokihana said...

What great photos! And I'm so happy that Jackson is doing better... what a dog!

I've heard a lot about the Eel... have fun with it!!

Michelle said...

Mokihana, I'm so happy Jackson has rallied. I guess there are several Eels; this is the newest and smallest version. Bobbins hold approximately an ounce, and work with a small battery pack (already purchased for ~$5).

Debbie said...

So an older dog can teach new tricks...way to go Jackson! Glad he is feeling better.

Any chance that your neighbor with the orchard could part with a tree (if they can be moved)? How about a new starter peach tree and graft limbs of the Canadian Harmony?

Glad that you had a good visit with your Mom.

Your Nano is cute! I went with the purple.

Beautiful spinning!

thecrazysheeplady said...

Don't discount hearing and vision loss. Kate "lost" me out on a walk the other day even though I was only about 40 feet away. I couldn't call her and I had to move a lot to get her to see me. I knew she was having some problems, but didn't realize they'd gotten that bad so quickly. I know she wasn't "conveniently" not seeing/hearing me as she was worried about where I was.

Mama Pea said...

You look so much like your very attractive mom!

I'm sure you were expecting the worst when Jackson played Hide and Seek with you the other night. He seems to be thinking he currently feels good enough to expend a little energy and do just what appeals to him! Gotta love his spunk at this stage of the game.

Yes, summer is winding down. We're still having warm/almost hot days but the nights are blessedly cool for sleeping which makes me feel so much better!

Have a good week comin' up!

Michelle said...

Debbie, the trees are mature so it would take some big, specialized equipment to move one. We've never grafted, but Rick has talked about finding a couple young Canadian Harmony trees to plant here. It's just such a shame to tear out producing fruit trees, IMO! Have you used your Nano yet?

Sara, I know he doesn't hear as well as he used to, but Jackson responds readily if there are TREATS involved, so it IS willful ignoring when he can see me! Sorry to hear Kate is having trouble. :-(

Thank-you, Mama Pea; I've always thought my mom much more attractive than me. (I've been told we sound alike, too.)

A :-) said...

That photo of you and your mom will be one that you will both treasure for the rest of your lives. :-)