Tuesday, September 25, 2018

The old guard and the new

We're headed into the 80s today and the next several days, but that's okay because the nights are deliciously cool and more rain and 70s are in the seven-day forecast. With that promising scenario I will take my cue from the dogs and enjoy the sun.

Chuckie isn't into laying around; he's an active teenager with the same long, lean build as my DS's. Boulderneigh is his jungle gym, and we are his staff. Last night he followed me up the the garage after chores, where Rick was working on the manure spreader. This morning he met Brian at the garage door when he went out to do chores. I'm pretty sure he thinks he should have full access to the house as part of his new domain. No chance of that, Mr. What'sALitterBox! This morning I moved his food and water out of the tack room (we've been leaving the door open since that was familiar space), cleaned out some of his mess, and shut the door.


I almost forgot to share this photo of my repotted orchids. Incahoots did a beautiful job and charged me a pittance; when my blooming beauty needs a fresh start it will go in for the same treatment!

This morning I harvested a zucchini and some tomatoes from the garden; I'll go up later for basil and parsley to make 'Green Goddess Pasta' for supper. On Friday I'll harvest rhubarb. This coming Saturday evening we are having our annual "Apple Crisp" musical vespers at church (musical selections from members followed by a dessert potluck); I always bring rhubarb crisp as I find many apple crisp recipes cloyingly sweet – and variety adds spice to life!

That's it for now from . . .

6 comments:

Michelle said...

And your comments add joy to my life!

Susan said...

A nap in the sun sounds wonderful! Jackson has the right idea. I am so glad that Chuckie is settling in (Mr. What'sALitterBox! LOL!) You sure have a green thumb when it comes to orchids - they are beautiful!

Michelle said...

I'm glad you got a chuckle but seriously, what cat NEVER uses a litter box???

Retired Knitter said...

Wow, so the new guys NEVER uses the little box!! I have never heard of that. But that makes him a perfect barn cat, yes?? And he is very very sweet, yet?? And he sticks around, right? Oh well, nobody's perfect. And who knows how his mom and others treated him. But you are right. I have never heard of a cat that could resist digging in the sand.

Retired Knitter said...

Oh, and love those dogs of yours!!!

Jeanne said...

It's so good to know that Chuckie seems to be settling in for the long haul! Makes me happy!! That's him sitting in the white bucket in the second picture, isn't it?

Your orchid is beautiful! First #1 Daughter's orchid is budding out, and is very pretty, with it's dark purple spots.

Have a good evening!