Friday, September 07, 2018

It never gets old

I love state fairs. Actually, I should say I love our state fair, because it still has all the things that state fairs are supposed to have – livestock and horse shows, 4H and FFA shows, competitions for photography and all kinds of handcrafted/homegrown entries, garden displays, free concerts and other fun acts, and yes, fair food, hawkers, and carnival rides. I'm a happy girl if I can admire the beautiful bovines, eat a falafel sandwich, get a sweet treat from the Oregon Dairy Women's stand, watch the dock-diving dogs, stroll through the photography and orchid exhibits, gaze at the quilts, marvel at the decorated cakes, etc.



















What's your state fair like? Or have you ever been?

That's it for State Fair report #4 from . . .

6 comments:

Michelle said...

Tell me, please!

Florida Farm Girl said...

I've been to the Iowa State Fair a couple of times but was really overwhelmed. And it was very hot and uncomfortable. Yours sounds much better. I've also been to the Eastern States Exposition near Springfield, MA many, many years ago.

Michelle said...

We were blessed this year with MODERATE summer weather; it CAN be very different.

Lisa B said...

Our DE fair is 10 days long. We are required to have our animals there the entire fair. It's just too long and exhausting at the end of July. We camp there to care for them also. It takes the critters and us a good week or 10 days to recover from the exhaustion. Don't misunderstand it is enjoyable while you are there the first 5-6 days then it's all "hurry up and wait to leave mode". I wish we would shorten it back to a 7-8 day fair or move it to end of June or into September. Oh well my kids still enjoy showing so I will continue to go and support them.

marlane said...

I have been to County and State Fairs in California. All interesting and I have entered paintings and done FFA gardens with my kids. I still have the blue ribbon that I won. I was so thrilled that I called my husband ( RIP A ) at work to tell him. He was a mail carrier and the post master was not too happy with me. This was a few years ago.

Michelle said...

Oh Lisa, that is TOO LONG! Our 12-day fair cycles different open-show livestock groups in and out so they don't have to be there the whole time, except for the draft horses because they are such a big draw. But 4H and FFA may have to be there the whole time; I'm not sure....

That's quite an accomplishment, Marlane! The one time I entered knitwear, I didn't do that well!