Thursday, February 23, 2017

It's a bird; it's a plane...

...it's a “bald vulture”?

Tuesday when I was driving home from work, I noticed a large bird on the ground in a field beside the road – and did a double-take. It was a bald eagle! I did a quick U-turn and pulled off the road to try for some photos. S/he started lifting its wings, then settled back down to its dinner. When I saw cars coming, I drove to a driveway to turn around and head back home again, then stopped and shot some more because the approaching car had stopped to do likewise. And why not? It was a remarkable photo op, if an ignoble activity.








Back at home, we had a much smaller, cuter visitor – more than one, actually. Chestnut-backed chickadees are infrequent visitors to our feeder; yesterday there were several here at once.
As for the plane, before I saw the bald eagle, I pulled over to capture the majestic thunderheads to the north. Serendipitously, a small plane came into view, headed for our little airport:
The clouds have been striking, and the sunshine at times brilliant. My daffodils are up and budding, and my daphne is about to unleash its heady perfume on our world.
Don't get too excited. We could get a little snow this weekend.  :-/

That's late for us at . . .

9 comments:

Mama Pea said...

We frequently (unfortunately) see highway killed deer by the side of the road and it's not uncommon to see three or four bald eagles feasting on the carcass. They are large, majestic birds, aren't they?

Susan said...

Wow, is right! What a beautiful bird! And I love your chestnut-backed chickadees! As ready as I am for spring, I don't want a false one. Our area had no stone fruit whatsoever last year because of a false spring, followed by a hard freeze. I miss my plums!

Debbie said...

Amazing photos!

No snow here...yet.

Have a great weekend!

Mokihana said...

Your photos are wonderful!! They remind me of the ones I took near Ridgefield when an eagle was munching on a dead coyote. Your close-ups are terrific!!

C-ingspots said...

Aren't they just the most amazing birds!? Your response was similar to mine when I saw one very nearby sitting in a field, with a crow for a partner. Compared to the eagle, the crow appeared so very tiny. I was enthralled. Guess we can't hold their dining habits against them, whatever would we do without them?

Yes, the clouds! I love an angry sky - and speaking of snow? Snowed this morning. I am finished with this, and so looking forward to spring. Loving the extra light too.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Excellent photos...each and every one! Snow, eh? I'm concerned March might be wild as a hare.

Michelle said...

I was wowed, Sara!

Mama Pea, I know that bald eagles are scavengers but have never seen that around here. At most, they occasionally fly over our property, obviously going somewhere.

Susan, those chickadees are a delight; they and the little nuthatches (which I haven't seen in awhile; hmm) are probably my favorites. I stand with you: No false spring!

We had a dusting this morning, Debbie; I think that's all we'll get.

I think this might have been a dead coyote, too, Mokihana, although it was too wet and flat to see well.

It was definitely a BIG bird, Lorie; boy, do they look fierce!

Thanks, Sandra. Anymore, I think all bets are off on weather....

Goatldi said...

Nice! Just love the big birds. We have two that show up every so often at my friends cattle ranch across the street. I have only seen them once or twice but impressive they are. I am with you on the weather as this last week we have been all over the map and now starting a return trip.

Roses, Lace and Brocante said...

Michelle, what a magnificent bird! Great photos.
I didn't realise they were so large.
Your daffs look ready to burst into bloom - it won't be long now!
As we move into Autumn in March you will be welcoming Spring, I know you will love that!
Take care
Shane
Ps thanks for your comments and popping in to see me! x