Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Windy and Warm



Well, that was fast! We went from temps in the teens and twenties to almost 50° with a stiff south wind and driving rain, and there went all that beautiful snow.
Yesterday morning

This morning (it's completely gone tonight)
A blessing, really, to have this quick transition from frozen to thawed; the Columbia River Gorge is still dealing with a major ice storm.


In comparison, we've just had to collect scattered buckets, pick up tree debris, and slosh through mud and water.


Tonight Rick helped me give the four bred girls their second oxytetracycline shots and trimmed all their feet. All of them ended up with some degree of foot rot after being in the Ram-ada Inn lot for breeding, my first experience with this in my decade of owning Shetland sheep. I don't know if Nightcap brought it in; he was lame when he arrived although that has since cleared up. Oh well; it's here now, so we have to deal with it.

That's it for today from . . .

5 comments:

Theresa said...

Lucky you! We had 12 plus inches of snow yesterday. In fact it snowed on my new car. How unfair was THAT! Enjoy the balmy weather. :-)

Bill said...

We've had crazy weather too. Muddy pastures and wet jeans here too. After our big snow and record cold it's been spring-like. All the snow vanished quickly and we've been hitting the 60's and even 70's! It's still muddy from the snow melting and now we're facing a prediction of 4 straight days of rain!

Susan said...

I struggle with foot rot with Linden on an annual basis - none of the other sheep got it. Glad you are back to green a brown! For once, I am sick of winter already. I usually last until the end of February, but this winter has been awful.

Goatldi said...

Here also in True Northern California. After a few days of mid 50's and sun back to wind, rain , mud. I am so happy to hear I am not the only going through multiple changes of clothes in a day. Saving grace? I bred for late kids. No one due until April!

Mama Pea said...

Foot rot! Geesh, if it ain't one thing, it's another!

We've had a January Thaw all this past week. What's going on here? Temps up into the 30s and melting. We still have lots of snow on the ground, but, boy howdy, does it look dirty, sad and ugly. Looks and feels like our typical March weather. Like I say, what's going on?