Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Fully fall

While the ornamental trees around the house still cloak themselves with their fall finery, the bigleaf maples in our strip of woods are flinging their frocks to the wind. The drive to the barn had a crunchy cover until Rick cleared it off earlier this week.
It's nice to have dry leaves to work with!

We're enjoying fires in the woodstove frequently now, and the dogs have a nice, new bed in the laundry room, thanks to a find at Goodwill. (Why pay big bucks for a giant dog bed when you can get a nearly new chaise lounge cushion that fits better in your space for $3.99?) Jackson is lame in the right rear foot, poor dog, which is slowing him down considerably. I hate to see him uncomfortable, but don't mind the reduced energy level!

Me; I'm lame in the left shoulder, but hopefully it's on the (slow) mend now that I've been to the physical therapist again. While the right shoulder just had tendonitis, the left had 'progressed' to adhesive capsulitis – otherwise known as frozen shoulder. :-/

One of my two least favorite occurrences happens soon – the artificial messing with the clocks. Until this fall, I thought this was an antiquated American invention. But I caught a reference to the time change in a Shetland sheep forum made by one of the members in the UK. So I looked it up, and lo and behold, we are far from the only idiots ones who semiannually mess with our clocks! Sigh; there goes any hope that we will stop the madness....

Before the darkness descends, I'm planning a little buying excursion. After moving to Oregon, I fell in love with Japanese maples. Their variety of size, form, and color make them year-round landscapers' darlings – and they are trees, one of my favorite parts of creation. I got the bible, and found a local propagator with lots of cultivars at reasonable prices. I used birthday and Christmas money to purchase some treasures, several of which I sadly lost in the moving process when we built this house (and another was destroyed by a rambunctious boy/dog combo).

When discussing landscaping ideas with my MIL recently, my love affair with Japanese maples was rekindled. I pulled out my book and searched online for the propagator I had purchased from, only to learn he died in 2010. However, the remainder of his stock is still being sold by an associate. I researched every available variety to create a short shopping list, and inquired about picking them up in person to save shipping costs. He agreed, and I will drive out after our homeschool co-op today, or tomorrow afternoon. I'm so excited!

(I started this post last night, but finished it this morning – with THIS happening over my left shoulder. WOW.)

That's it for today from . . .

9 comments:

Spinners End Farm said...

Urgh. I hate the time change too! Japanese maples are lovely...can't wait to see where you plant them!

Susan said...

The time change is a complete waste of .. time. I find it as useful to the world as rodents. I love Japanese maples, too. But, since I plan on one more move, I will wait until I am safely rooted to plant my own.

Unknown said...

Wow indeed! Thank you for sharing the sunrise!

toastyyak said...

New trees! That sounds exciting. I've just found a grower on the left coast (I'm in Indiana) that grows many heirloom fruit trees. I'm just placing an order to reserve a couple of cherries, a pear, and two apples to ship in the Spring. I can't wait to get them and get my first harvest - even if it's just one fruit per tree the first year! Oh - this year I had a volunteer peanut (!) and just pulled it to get about 18 actual peanuts!
Also, beautiful sunrise.
(end of novel) :)

A :-) said...

Crud - I'm sorry to hear that your shoulders are cranky. Frozen shoulder is nothing to ignore - I hope some PT might get you on the road to recovery.

And Japanese Maples :-) I think I checked and it just gets too cold here for them to grow or grow well. they are SO beautiful :-)

A :-) said...

Crud - I'm sorry to hear that your shoulders are cranky. Frozen shoulder is nothing to ignore - I hope some PT might get you on the road to recovery.

And Japanese Maples :-) I think I checked and it just gets too cold here for them to grow or grow well. they are SO beautiful :-)

Tombstone Livestock said...

Dozer looks comfy and enjoying the new bed.

Anonymous said...

What a find for only $3.99! I love Japanese maples too but right now I'm looking for things that will fill in the holes created by the loggers like evergreens if possible! That is definitely a wow morning sky! I hate to admit that I'm so not a morning person so I rarely greet the morning sky...:D
Hugs,
Beth

Michelle said...

Sherry and Susan, I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they like to have the time change twice a year, so why do we still put up with it???

Susan, many Japanese maples lend themselves to container-culture or bonsai, so you could take them with you!

You're welcome, Shelly.

Peanuts, Yak? Now that's something I've never seen growing!

Adrienne, see my comment to Susan re container or bonsai culture.

Yes, Audrey, both dogs like the new bed. Hopefully Jackson won't chew it up, as he has every other bed or bedding....

Beth, sunrise is nice and LATE right now. ;-)