Sunday, July 15, 2007

Finally doing the Twist with Bill Withers

Well, I'm attempting to, at any rate. I've been waiting with great anticipation and some trepidation (just like before most first dates!) to try my hand at spinning around with Bill Withers. Last week I finally cleared my dance card, and got my hands on Bill. This is my "first time" with something other than sheep's wool, and Bill and I are not yet the most coordinated couple on the floor.

Notice that there is no yarn going through the orifice to the bobbin? That's because it keeps coming apart, and I have to keep finding the end (not too difficult so far, thankfully) and starting again. This is my biggest bugaboo in spinning: getting the fiber well started on the bobbin. But I've learned to relax, slow down, and perservere, instead of thinking that I've forgotten how to spin. We'll stop stepping on each other's toes soon, Bill and I. And once our dance card is full, Bill gets to have a threesome with two beautiful red Wensleydale singles I have spun up and waiting for him!

That's it for now at . . .

4 comments:

Lauren Dorsee Dillon said...

I think it looks just fine so far. I don't know what advice to give you other than starting slow. Mohair has never given me any problems (knock on wood) and neither has starting. ???

BTW, for some reason, I cannot send email from here, only receive it.

Lauren Dorsee Dillon said...

After ruminating about this, I think the reason I haven't any trouble with the start of a bobbin is because I am a naturally slow-moving person and pedal slowly. Until recently, I never used the fast ratio end of the bobbin because the speed overwhelmed me. Finally, I can handle the power ;-)
Good luck!

Kathy said...

Try starting with a bit of wool, then switch over to Bill...

Franna said...

Wow! What a coincidence... I just started spinning the Cotswold and am having the same problem - grrrrr! Then I added more fiber and more twist, and got drift when plying. hmmmmm. Back to the drawing board - it might have to be a heavier yarn than I thought. Cotswold - poor man's mohair. ;-)
- Franna