Thursday, July 23, 2026

More of a show than the 4th of July!

Yesterday was wild, weatherwise. Thunderstorms are rare here; we've never had literally hours of lightning and thunder before in the 37 years we've lived here. One of Rick's clients lost a horse to a lightning strike, which made me worry about our horses at home in a small pasture with tall trees on either side. Fortunately everyone was fine when I got home from work; even our dogs didn't mind the weather. There were some beautiful clouds around, even while thunder and lightning continued in the distance:
We got 1/4" of rain, too, so I took advantage of the softened ground this morning and pulled weeds, then planted more bush beans and beets in the gaps where the first planting failed to germinate. I picked a tomato, and admired the other ripening produce. It's been a 'cucumber year' so far; if I'd known, I would have planted enough to make dill pickles but usually they don't grow well for me.
already harvested and eaten

Maybe the pastures will get a boost from the rain, too. The sheep have eaten down all their paddocks on the neighbors' property so are home eating hay again; the horses are still picking at their half of the neighbors' pasture . . . most of the time. The first three days of this week they had to stay home where they have access to water, since I had to cover Rick's vet office and couldn't let them in for their afternoon drink.
I've been seeing quite a few mice recently. Natural ebb and flow of populations, I guess; we had a terrible infestation in barn, tack room, and henhouse before a few years of near-absence. I'm going to have to resort to deadly measures in the tack room, as they are destroying soft things like saddle pads and blankets.

In TdF spinning, I finished the first 4oz colorway, and am now working on the second. These are both part of the Inglenook Fibers Mushroom Blends:
second turtle of 'Rosy Bonnet'
first turtle of 'Truffle'


That's it for now from . . .

5 comments:

Florida Farm Girl said...

When I was 8 or 9 years old, we lost our bull and three cows to lightening then they had gathered under a tree for shelter. That was a blow to our little farm, for sure. It's scary for sure and can be devastating, but thankfully doesn't occur with any frequency. Hope things are going well there.

Michelle said...

That WOULD be devastating! I was always worried about a strike because I knew my step-dad's favorite horse was killed by lightning many years ago in the Texas Panhandle, but never expected it to happen here, where thunderstorms are so rare. Thankfully, things ARE going well here.

A :-) said...

Strange weather everywhere, I think. It has finally cooled down here, but who knows for how long. Your spinning, as always, is lovely. I'm glad all the animals are safe and sound :-)

Leigh said...

It's lovely to see your garden doing so well. Sorry to hear about the mice though. For such little critters they can sure do a lot of damage.

Michelle said...

A, I almost feel guilty saying that we've had a relatively moderate summer so far, knowing the heat, fires, and flooding that have beset so much of the country. We've experienced our share of extremes and I'm sure we'll get more in the future.

Leigh, I'm watering every other day this year, which seems to suit our garden well. In the past I haven't watered so frequently, or so regularly.