Thursday, June 13, 2024

Let's hear for the boys

Tuesday I trimmed hooves on a dozen sheep (all but the lambs). I don't handle the boys much, so haltering each was a good opportunity to remove coats (Sanson needed a bigger size), look them over with a critical eye, take photos, and evaluate how well they reflect my goals.

First up is Bijou, one of Blaise's 2023 twins. He is reserved by the fine-fleeced, polled Shetland breeder from whom I got Spot. We plan to trade sheep; I'm hoping to get a katmoget from her.
 

Next up is Sanson, who I got in trade for a ewe lamb last year to replace Spot as my new flock sire. All the boys are in excellent flesh, but Sanson is bigger in size and build, as befits his almost-namesake Samson.




Finally there is Bench (I traded his twin sister Bailiff for Sanson). Bench strongly resembles his sire Spot, and his micron test results from this spring blew me away: his AFD is 20.6ยต, and his 'Comfort Factor' is 97.3%. He is for sale, as he is too closely related to all my ewes but Bridget to use here. But if he's still here this fall I'll happily use him on Bridget and let him keep Sanson company. (Sanson's test results aren't far behind, at 22ยต AFD and a CF of 96.6%.)


The other 'boys' have been busy in Texas this week. The huge pile in the back yard is trash from Dad's shop to be hauled away by Mom's wonderful next-door neighbor. What's left in the shop may well be sold with the place (to the same neighbor), but at least one can walk through it now. As I feared, though, the 'candy shop' proved irresistible. They filled a 16' box truck with 'treasures' to bring home and left late yesterday afternoon, only to suspect they were overweight. Sure enough, they had to turn around and spend another night at Mom's. But did they jettison some of their load to get down to the 12,500 lb. weight limit? No, they rented a trailer and are moving the excess weight to it! ๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜ณ Heaven help me (I'm going to need it).



#################################

On my way home from work Monday, I noticed a 'committee' of eight turkey vultures along the road, one of them in the horaltic pose; so cool! I took a photo from the car but the light was behind them, so I drove past and turned around. That made them move, but not far. 



First daylilies blooming outside,

and an explosion of blooms on my African violet inside:

My littlest orchid's blossoms have finally shriveled up, but it has new flower spikes growing. Encore! Encore!

Trying to accentuate the positive at . . .

2 comments:

Jeanne said...

What a great group of pictures! Your sheep are beautiful. It must be quite a chore, to trim those hooves.

I can sympathize with you for whatever treasures those guys are bringing home. That's really nice the neighbor is buying the place and the leftovers of your dad's shop things. Good luck and God's blessings!

We haven't seen any groups of turkey vultures recently, along the highway. We do see them soaring overhead.

Your flowers are very pretty!

Michelle said...

Thanks for your comments, Jeanne! Some sheep are more of a chore than others.๐Ÿ˜‰ Crossing fingers on the neighbors; the deal's not done until it's done.