Thursday, July 06, 2023

Legacy

Thanks to the Jenkins group on Ravelry, I spin regularly using my treasured Jenkins spindles. Every month there are challenges and it's fun to participate. July ramps that up because I usually participate on more than one forum for the Tour de Fleece.



I am back to plying white suri alpaca and dyed Wensleydale after spinning another 76g of suri to finish (I hope!) the job. This morning I added a spinning project to my plying project, because the Punkin's Patch forum (run by my friend Sara at Equinox Farm in KY) has been hijacked 😉 by Shetland spinners for this TdF. Even though I sell most of my fleeces I do have a few choices, and when I opened my roving bin and saw a small bag of Rechel's cloud/roving, I couldn't resist.


Yes, that is Rechel in both photos above. Ag grey Shetlands can show dramatic seasonal color shifts in their haired areas (face, legs), getting darker in fall and fading in summer.

Rechel was one of the first two Shetland sheep I bought way back in 2005. Rechel was my second pick, a companion for the ewe I fell in love with at the Oregon State Fair. It took a couple years and lots of education to realize that Rechel was the far better breed representative of the two, with decent crimp and softness compared to the other ewe, who could have passed for an Icelandic. Glad I still have a few ounces of Rechel's fleece left to spin, because life has come full circle. Bred to my first polled ram, Rechel produced Boulderneigh Bluster in 2008. Since Bluster was horned he was sold, and eventually produced 67 registered offspring for seven different breeders over six seasons. Now, one of his great-grandsons (and Rechel's great-great-grandson) is my newest flock sire prospect! I think that's pretty cool, and it was fun to dig up and look at all these old photos.

Below are photos of Bluster (brown-based) and his twin Bliz (black-based).





And here is Sanson, the heir apparent:

We've had a couple tough days of heat this week. Before it got terribly hot the morning of the 4th, Rick and Brian stacked our third load of first cutting hay in the barn. Things are looking much better in there then they did this time last year!

That night we drove to Salem to watch fireworks with Rick's mom:













I think the heat contributed to the death of one of our old hens, my last remaining Australorp, that I found dead in the hen house yesterday morning. That leaves us with these nine:

That's plenty, as long as we can continue to keep them safe from raccoons!

That's it for now from . . .

9 comments:

Leigh said...

Excellent photos, Michelle (as always!).

That is so neat about Sanson! It's a huge plus to keep good genetics in the flock. I also find the color discussion interesting. Is it common for Shetlands to change color as they mature, or just the greys like Rechel? My goats can change color quite a bit as they grow up (good minerals helps!)

Tim B. Inman said...

I find wool and spinning fascinating. I'm a 'materials and processes' guy by training and inclination, so maybe that's the hook. Whatever! But it is interesting to me. I used wool in non-conventional ways in my work. It is the key to French Polishing. It is historically relevant to furniture seat cushioning. It is the 'sponge' under my gold leaf gilding pallets. There is nothing like it to replace and with it, the knife flawlessly cuts the leaf as I want it. So.... Lots of things to make the world go 'round. The genetics is fascinating too.

After a long hot dry start, we're now in a cool rainy cycle. Feast and famine!

Cheers

Michelle said...

Leigh, Shetlands with Ag, whether black or brown based, change color dramatically from birth to maturity, some quickly and some more slowly. Even without Ag, some Shetlands change color over time, typically by losing intensity. Breeding sheep that keep their intensity without fading or sun bleaching is a high priority for some breeders. Then there are the seasonal changers like Rechel, the Ag greys. I haven't seen any other color patterns that change back and forth like that.

Wool is truly a wonderful, renewable resource, isn't it, Tim? Years ago when we were new to Oregon and looking for a house we could afford, one that we looked at was insulated with wool! An excellent choice I would think, being fire-resistant and a good insulator!

thecrazysheeplady said...

I just love this :-)

A :-) said...

I seem to recall that you sent some of Rechel's fleece to me. Am I wrong? Maybe I'm wrong because it was quite white and I think Rechel was not - quite white. Anyway, I remember spinning it - and then knitting you some socks with it :-)

Michelle said...

Thanks, Sara. 😊

Yes, you're right, A! Those socks ARE made from Rechel's wool that you spun and knit; I had totally forgotten about that! So glad you remembered and reminded me!

A :-) said...

Oh Yay!! I THOUGHT it was Rechel's fleece! Glad I remembered correctly. Full circle, indeed, my friend - full circle, indeed. :-)

Jeanne said...

I'm finally able to comment on this. It's the first time I've been able to use my laptop since surgery - and a bit difficult, typing left-handed.

I really enjoyed reading and studying all of this! It's so interesting! I'll go through it again, too! Thanks!

Michelle said...

Welcome back to the land of the (albeit awkward) typing, Jeanne! I am honored that you commented here in the midst of your recovery!