Thursday, July 07, 2022

Holiday weekend (and beyond), part two

From pretty much 2:00 on, I was on lambing watch Monday, alternating between sitting in the barn and spinning, and going up to the house occasionally. (There is an opening in the wall dividing the barn proper from the Sheep Sheraton which I could peek through so as not to interrupt Bridget's preoccupation.) I took a break to fix supper (Rick brought his mother out to eat with us, not something I was planning for), then went back to 'pacing the floor.' I was back in the house sometime after 10:00 p.m. when I heard some insistent bleating, so back I went. Bridget had produced a couple hooves and was complaining that it HURT, so I confirmed that they were both front feet accompanied by a nose, and proceeded to pull out a brown ram lamb while fireworks boomed in the distance. Rick came down and prompted me to check for another lamb, then we worked to get Boomer latched on and fed. Finally we gave up, milking out 10cc of colostrum and tube-feeding him so we could get some sleep.

This is Bridget's first lambing, and her instincts were excellent:

I awoke early the next morning and went down to check on mother and son. He was standing and suckling on first one side, and then the other. "Hurray!" I thought, but upon closer inspection, Boomer didn't look like a lamb who was getting anything to eat. Rats.



Look at that uniform, super-crimpy birth coat!



I ran back to the house to get Bling's bottle (followed by Bling, still my little shadow whenever she is allowed to be), milked Bridget, and fed a very hungry Boomer. His sides swelled noticeably, making us BOTH feel better – for awhile.





"Mmm; that was GOOD!"

"I recognize that bottle; I want some!"

I had to work part of Tuesday, but milked and fed before and after. As the day wore on, it became harder to get anything out of Bridget; we were both getting frustrated with the trying and Boomer was hungry. Desperate to have a good end from this last lambing, I called an acquaintance who has dairy sheep. She had given me some sheep milk for Bling, and told me then she always keeps some colostrum in her freezer. I drove to town Tuesday evening to pick some up and give Boomer a full belly.

Yesterday  morning Boomer was hungry and a little listless; Bridget was engorged and uncomfortable. After bottle-feeding Boomer, I was able to milk Bridget much more easily; then had to dash off to cover for Rick's secretary. Home again over the lunch hour to feed (no time to milk), then immediately home after closing the clinic at 5:30. Where what to my wondering eyes should appear, but a comfortable mama and a filled-out, nursing lamb!

Now his birthday suit is fitting better!


No need for a bottle there, so I opted to give Bling a treat – which made her one happy lambie:

Rejoicing over my blessings at . . .

13 comments:

marlane said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
marlane said...

Oh my goodness what an amazing lambing story and the cutest lamb pictures !!

Michelle said...

And his is prrobably the least remarkable of my four lambing stories this year, Marlane! It has been a crazy year....

Donna said...

What a success story! The hard work paid off.

Kim said...

Welcome little Boomer ❣️💙
This must be the year for cranky Moms and not wanting to nurse. Just had an Alpaca do the same thing. Took her 4 days and several milkings before she got her head on right. Glad things are on track now.

Michelle said...

Thanks, Donna; I'm so glad Boomer caught on quickly. Mom was willing and he was eager, so the essentials were there. I think at first he just wasn't sucking hard enough or persistently enough, and she wasn't letting down immediately.

See my comment to Donna, Kim. Bridget wasn't cranky with her lamb at all, just my fat-fingered attempts at milking her!

A :-) said...

Congratulations!! Boomer is the perfect name. So glad he's doing well. :-)

Retired Knitter said...

Glad that mom and baby finally got their act together. Sometimes it just takes a few days ... even with humans. (smile)

Leigh said...

I'm so glad it worked out! It's hard to rest easy until you know everyone is nursing and getting plenty to eat. Always a relief when they figure it out.

FullyFleeced said...

so glad to hear that it came together in the end. way to go Boomer!

thecrazysheeplady said...

Whew!

Mokihana said...

What a lovely lambing story, with a great ending!! Boomer is so cute!!

Jeanne said...

I'm sorry to be so late in making my comment. But I did see and enjoy your post about Boomer's birth, and his struggles. I'm so happy it all turned out well! I'll bet that scene of him nursing happily, and Bridget doing well, also, must have really been exciting for you!

Boomer is adorable! It'll be fun to see him grow. That's a really cute name for him.