Monday, June 20, 2022

Right on cue

The summer equinox is tomorrow, and it looks like summer weather is going to arrive right on cue. Yesterday was the last cool, gray day in the forecast, so I did a weeding marathon while the 'pulling' was good. Not that most people will notice, because I worked in the arena. And not that I made a huge difference in the arena, but I'm hoping I made difference enough that Rick won't be tempted to spray poison in my 'sandbox.'
I finished weeding down the boards on three sides


Progress before yesterday's work is visible from the house

I've also pulled thistle and tansy in all pastures...

and found these sweet wild garlic blooms

The garden is a neglected jungle beyond my sole abilities...

so I put a 'garden' in a pot.

The weeding marathon came between making a nice breakfast for Rick and me, and making supper and a four-loaf batch of bread for our larder. Today was my first Fathers Day without a father to see or call. Rick's dad has been gone over 30 years, and he still feels the loss. (Having a less than appreciative son doesn't help; hopefully that will change some day.)

The white flags are blooming now –
which reminds me that I never showed 'the blog' something special. Several years ago we went to Crystal Springs Rhododendron Gardens for Mothers Day. Afterwards we wandered through the plant sale outside the entrance. An intriguing tag above tiny pots with slender stalks of green caught my eye, and Brian bought me one for my Mothers Day gift.
This year they bloomed for the first time!  And yes, they DO smell like fresh, sweet plums!




Bridget is starting to give me some hope that she'll lamb before July. Still little udder development, but there are other signs. Now that I've gotten four solid (non-greying) lambs from Spot (counting Berlin from last year), I am hoping Bridget gives me an Ag grey ewe lamb to keep. No, I don't plan to keep all my lambs forever. But I have learned that selling really stunning lambs with the idea that I can always breed more since I have the parents who produced them doesn't always work out. Sometimes the genes don't combine in the same fortuitous ways . . . and sometimes the parents don't live to produce again.

Gratuitous photos of cute companions alert. I've been letting Bing out by himself to graze the driveway verges because he needs the extra calories and doesn't go up into the yard. (The ElectroNet fencing I need to contain the ewes is backordered.) Poppy wants to play with the old gent, but he doesn't engage much. Yesterday morning she was trying yet again and I scolded her for hassling him. "Who, me; chase sheep? I'm just companionably grazing with one!"



Don't let her fool you; Poppy is all terrier outside. Inside, though, she is a fine companion! 


That's it for spring from . . .

9 comments:

thecrazysheeplady said...

She's bigger than I thought! Or your sheep are smaller...

Michelle said...

Sara, it's mostly camera perspective; Poppy is closer to the lens. But she IS 18.5" at the shoulder and a solid 30#, and Bing is not big, even for a Shetland (and quite underweight).

Retired Knitter said...

What a beautiful and delicate flower. Glad to see you back again. It will take time to recover the status of all your home activities. I am sure Father’s Day was hard. Now begins the year of “firsts” for both you and your mom without your dad.

Tim B. Inman said...

Good for you gardening in pots!

I'm leaning into that more all the time. I have tons of space, loads of equipment and still lots of energy. Still, there will be a time that all has to take a back seat, and I really enjoy watching things grow. Why not a pot on the porch!? So - I'm learning and having fun at it. And it works. Never give up!!! (A grow bag sitting on a wicking stool in a 5-gallon bucket of water is magic.)

Cheers

A :-) said...

The year of firsts . . . it's as Elaine said. The year of firsts without a loved one is like running the gauntlet. I'm sure you've read my words that I think there is merit in the old custom of a year of mourning. All those firsts . . . It will never be the same, but you will move forward. The iris are beautiful - how awesome that they are scented! :-)

Michelle said...

Elaine, Dad's absence is much harder on Mom than on me, since she is now all alone and I have both people and animals around me.

Well, ONE pot, Tim. 🙄

A, I think I did most of my morning while in TX, in person....

Jeanne said...

It was so nice to find your blog today. I had a long, busy day yesterday, and when I was going to bed, I realized I hadn't checked my email! That's really unusual for me.

I did send Father's Day greetings to my son-in-law, and two grandsons-in-law. I was able to have a really nice phone visit with my son, on Saturday. He said they did their Father's Day celebration on that day, rather than Sunday. I can understand your feelings. I still miss my sweet husband terribly, and we always did something nice on Father's Day.

I'm always amazed at Poppy's size! She is a sweet dog and SO beautiful! Her ears, and my daughter's little Rico's ears are so similar. It's so cute to see her and Bing together!

Your Plum Tart Iris is so gorgeous! I've never heard of or seen anything like that. And how neat that they really do smell like sweet plums! Their foliage is very interesting.

Donna Schoonover said...

That iris is gorgeous! I am sorry for your Father's Day loss. It must be hard.

Anonymous said...

Hi Michelle. I just found your blog from a friend in Colorado who has followed you for a long time and who recognized me in the photo of the Jenkins groupies. What a small world. And it truly was so great to finally meet you in person at BSG. Karen