Sunday, November 18, 2018

Weekend report

Our unusually dry November weather continues, giving us unusually productive (and beautiful) days into deep fall. We could fret about the lack of moisture but it wouldn't do any good, so we might as well enjoy it!

The flowering cherry in fall foliage due west of our front door illuminates our interior:


 To the left of the front door, my Japanese maples are turning various shades – including these Pepto Bismol leaves!

Yesterday afternoon the guys shot some baskets while I took Lance for a wander through the woods,


then we all drove to Salem. Brian played basketball at the school and Rick and I walked around Riverfront Park. The carousel was still open but between rides, allowing me to capture this shot:

Last night Brian turned in several online assignments and by this morning, his one lagging grade and improved to a B-. That meant this morning he was allowed to DRIVE HIMSELF TO WORK – his first solo venture! We have entered a new and unsettling era and I'm not completely comfortable with it, but I don't get to call all the shots.....

Holding a warm, soft, purring cat is a good tonic:

Those cute little paws!
Don't let those pictures deceive you, though. Chuckie is back to being as spunky as ever; this morning the saber-tooth tiger stalked me from behind some weeds, ready to bring me down!

This evening I read this report on the Camp Fire. It left me shaking, trying to wrap my mind around the horror. We're doing what we can for the victims.

That's it for now from . . .


8 comments:

Retired Knitter said...

This fire is so devastating - worse than most of the hurricanes we get on the east coast. Prayers for them.

Theresa said...

Michelle,
So gad Chuckles there is feeling more himself! The light in your house looks beautiful, and as ever, such handsome ears we see on the trails!

Michelle said...

RK, if ever given the choice, I'd much rather have to swim for my life than drive/run through fire!

What would I do without my animal support, Theresa?

Susan said...

As nerve-wracking as it is, it seems that being able to drive by himself is enough motivation to get good things done. Oh, that Chuckie is adorable! The fire is so devastating - it's almost impossible to grasp the level of horror. Glad you and Lance got some quality time. xo

Fiberjoy said...

What a beautiful glow inside your house from the leaves!
It's great you had an enjoyable, restful afternoon.
Thanks for linking to the well-written article. (Best journalism I've read in some time.) The devastation of the wildfire is almost beyond comprehension.

C-ingspots said...

Oh my word! That article is terrifying and so much worse than news reports that I've seen. I can't even imagine the horror those people, and animals went through. We need to keep everyone involved in our prayers.

Michelle said...

It's a mixed bag for sure, Susan. It is GOOD to have Chuckie back to normal! And yes, that fire experience is beyond grasping...

Wanda, I always look forward to the inner glow that tree casts into the house. I thought that article very well written, too. It is so nice to read in-depth commentary in these days of sound bites, even though the subject matter was so grim.

That's why I linked to it, Lorie. Local news only gives us a superficial glimpse.

Jeanne said...

So glad your Chuckie is back to his feisty normal self!
You have some really nice photos - as usual.
I agree - the Camp fire was terrifying. It broke my heart, seeing the blaze and thinking of all those who lost so much.