Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Don't forget to change the channel sometimes

I keep up on the news (thanks, public radio!), but even when delivered without hype and hysteria there is much over which to be disturbed.
Yep.

So I don't look at it, much less think about it, steadily. I start each day contemplating heavenly things, then tackle work on or off the place, tune into the Chuckie Channel, bask in autumn's awesomeness, spend some time on my mental-health mustang, try new recipes, spin or knit some yarn....

Yesterday morning I headed out to do chores and was arrested by the morning light streaming through the Sunset maple leaves beside the house.
I really didn't expect to capture it just as it appeared – so often the camera sees it differently – but I got lucky! Here is more of that lovely (if less dramatic) autumn light this morning:

Chuckie continues to charm, wanting to be near us wherever we are.







I think he wonders why the dogs get to come inside with us – maybe that's why Chuckie sometimes turns into Chucky....





The dogs, on the other hand, wonder why I always come in smelling like him.
"Love on ME, Mommy!"
We're getting some more needful tasks done outside. On Sunday, Rick and I worked on getting old screw holes in the barn roof caulked (I was the inside spotter-of-pinholes and location-caller; Rick was on the roof). Yesterday Rick rented a box scraper to grade areas around the barn for better drainage and smooth the driveway:




When I can fit it in, I'm spinning away on Blake's roving with my birch 'Egret' Jenkins Turkish spindle. Like its namesake, this spindle is a big, slow but steady flyer.

That's it for now from . . .

10 comments:

Michelle said...

Tell me what channels YOU tune into!

Sharrie Brockhaus said...

Nothing but Wisconsin Public Radio at this house and in our car. On television----football now. Go Packers!! After football, there is seldom anything worth watching for someone my age. . I give up control of the remote then.

Goatldi said...

Sweet photos! I do understand the camera factor. Sometimes I think that my camera was looking somewhere other than where I was snapping the photo. Has taken the wind out of my sails more than once.

As for Chuckie I would offer you Tubby Tabby my remaining barn cat. However she brooks no nonsense with her roommates so he would have to tow the line. Ever since I had to put Snowy River her partner in barn for over 10 years down I have worried as to her mental health. Apparently it is just fine. As she tolerates the house cats who become "barn" cats during the day. Usually a safe distance from anywhere Tubby is.

Appears you had a busy but well balance day!

Retired Knitter said...

Love those Chucky pictures. He is such a cutie.

Mama Pea said...

I'm trying to focus on The Quilt Room channel! (As in MY own personal quilt room.) Practicing for real winter time. ;o)

Your pictures are always so clear and lovely. ( Even when the camera's eye doesn't see what you see!)

Anonymous said...

https://theclassicalstation.org/

Its based in North Carolina, but you can listen on line. They do have a schedule listed so you can identify the piece if you don't hear the announcement.

In the car I will sometimes switch to NPR, but many times it is just too much to listen to and will just switch back to WCPE (that is the station ID).

M in NC

C-ingspots said...

Wow, that first shot is gorgeous!!! Isn't this weather just about perfect? I do love Fall...so much. We've been super busy working on outdoor projects too, (seems like the chores never end) but it always feels really good to accomplish tasks and take satisfaction in a job well done. Or at least done for now. :) On the other hand, my poor, tired back might have something slightly different to say. *sigh* The old grey mare, she ain't what she used to be, ain't what she used to be, ain't what she used to be, many long years ago. Remember that old song? My dad used to sing that. Now I think I understand.

When Rick told me what you'd named your cat, that's who I pictured. Yikes!

Roses, Lace and Brocante said...

Hi Michelle
Mr Chuckie is adorable, he’s so lucky to have a home in your house!
What does he make of the sheep?
I’ve had a very busy few days so Im now in bed ready for a good sleep 😴
.Bye see you and Chuckie soon!
Shane x

Theresa said...

That cat gets to spend nine wonderful lives in such a great home. Truly, Lucky Chucky!

Jeanne said...

What a great set of pictures! I always enjoy them, AND The Chuckie Channel!

In the car, if we're not listening to CDs, we listen to KWAX, the classical radio station from the University of Oregon. In the house our daughter and I both enjoy Classic 99, for which she found the app for Kindle. It's a combination of religious and classical music.

Your gorgeous "orange picture" of the sun shining through the leaves is spectacular!