Monday, August 24, 2015

Weekend report

As reported, Sabbath was tough. Trapped inside by hazardous air quality while worrying about my horse outside and dealing with a bored, challenging adolescent was trying to my soul. But there was a bright spot. A friend brought a gift for me to church, just because.
She found this knitting box in a second-hand store. Isn't it wonderful??? Since I have no knitting on the needles right now, it's holding the spindle and fiber I'm currently working on.

Yesterday morning the visibility was still bad, but the smoky smell had abated some. Still, the recommendation was to stay inside as much as possible. Rick and Brian picked the ripe prunes from our two trees, and I got to work canning them with spices and a very light syrup (1/2 c. sugar to 4 c. water). I also filled my slow cooker with prunes to cook down into paste for a fat substitute in baking.

By evening, a cool coast breeze was blowing. We threw open the doors and windows to air out our hot, stale house, and I took Lance out for a sunset ride. We didn't go far because he started coughing; between that and the color of the setting sun, it was clear our air quality still leaves a lot to be desired. But it's improving! (Hopefully my mood follows suit.)

Interesting that my camera turned the sun white and the surrounding sky red; in reality the sun was a giant red orb in a pale pink sky.

That's it for the weekend from . . .

6 comments:

Ruthlynn said...

Howdy, about your wool gift box. What are the holes for on the top of the box for?

Unknown said...

The knitting box is fantastic.

Wow, your sky picture is pretty dramatic. I sure hope the air quality improves quickly!!

Mary Ann said...

I've been praying for all of you on the west coast, I know it's a scary situation!

Anne A said...

Thinking of you at this worrying time. You could do with the rain that is engulfing the SE UK today!

Michelle said...

Ruthlynn, the friend who gave it to me said they were to hold one's knitting needles, but my immediate thought was a place to feed yarn through, leaving the balls inside and protected. I also thought they would work well for creating two-ply yarn out of out balls of singles.

Nancy Kay, the air is much clearer today, and feels so much better.

Thank-you for your prayers, Mary Ann!

Yes, Anne, send some of your rain!

Retired Knitter said...

Great looking knitting box. Hope your air improves quickly.