Sunday, June 08, 2014

Punched but rolling

This morning we unloaded the hay we picked up Thursday and left to get load #2. (It always amazes me that we can back in a big load like this, given our funky barn and limited room to maneuver!) When we arrived, someone else was loading up the one stack in the field, so we drove to the house to find out where our hay was. The farmer wasn't there; another man gave us the farmer's number. When Rick called him, we found out that the rest of the hay we had been promised, another 286 bales, had been sold out from under us! I was dumbfounded, Rick was STEAMED. I don't know if it was a case of miscommunication or what, but the man was downright snotty on the phone. Rick said we will never do business with him again; so much for thinking we had found a reliable source of good hay!

On our way home with an empty rig, we stopped at a farm store where one of Rick's clients works. Her dad puts up hay for people, so Rick asked if he had any to sell. Indeed, he had three very small fields baled, and with rain in the forecast this week, he was anxious to have it removed. The price was right but it was a "take-all-or-nothing" arrangement and some of it was pretty nasty. Oh well; beggars can't be choosers, so we spent the rest of the day loading and unloading hay. We have 274 bales in the barn, and another 150 bales on truck and trailer to be unloaded tomorrow – maybe. There is more hay available at the bottom of our hill that we would like to buy; we may discard the worst 50 or so bales we picked up today to make room for it.
Checking out the worst of the three little fields.
Brian drove for the first load; I got to drive for the second load.
Love this capture of my hardworking man in the side mirror. ;-)

Here are some scenes from the day; now I really must go take a shower!

That's it for now from . . .

11 comments:

Florida Farm Girl said...

Now, that's just not right!! Bet whoever bought it offered more per bale, but still... Your word ought to mean something. Glad you found another supply and hope it'll work out.

Tombstone Livestock said...

Hay is so scarce this year sellers can ask whatever price they want and get it. Just had 2 retriever loads delivered, $3 a bale higher than from the same field 6 weeks ago.

Susan said...

Word needs to get around about that first guy. No one should do business with a skunk. I am very lucky that I have a great hay guy who calls me from the field to find out how much I need for the year, then stores it in HIS barn. Such a blessing. That is a terrific photo of Rick in the rearview mirror!

Fiona said...

Finding good hay can be a trial. A man's word is not what it used to be and that is sad. Hang in there! The sheep will appreciate it! By the way the lambs are looking wonderful! The daily posts are just such a good insight into life on a small farmstead. Things go well and things go wrong....people contemplating a homestead need to hear these things. Thank you for your effort and words!

Michelle said...

And he seemed so nice when we picked up the load on Thursday, FFG! It truly did shock us.

Ouch, Audrey!

Unfortunately, Susan, the skunk seems to have no shortage of buyers. It IS hard to find trustworthy businesspeople of all types; when you find a good farrier/mechanic/shearer/hay guy, you try to keep them happy and thank the Lord!

Fiona, none of the hay we have purchased will meet the sheep's approval; it is all mature first-cutting valley hay. The local man who has sold us such lovely second and third cutting in the past replanted his fields this spring, so he won't get much this year and told us not to count on him. I have a ton or so left from last year, and pray that God provides more for my sheep when I run out. Thank-you for letting me know you're appreciating the daily posts!

Unknown said...

Well, many people don't like Mondays, I don't mind 'em. I'm hoping this Monday starts your week with relief from the funk and the skunk and the knee with the clunk. :-)

Michelle said...

Shelly, your special "blessing" has already made my Monday better! :-)

Unknown said...

I like that last picture too. Whew, what a lot of work to get all the hay set up in the barn.

Theresa said...

What a jerk! Amen to keeping the hay guy happy. I never even asked what the per ton price was going to be, but with the the drought and such here this year, I know it will be less than second cutting and Colby is fair in his pricing and consistent. Fingers crossed you get that barn full with some more good quality stuff and can just enjoy the rest of the season. How did it go with the chiro visit and Lance?

Anonymous said...

I wish I had a barn where I could store hay. I have to count on a local broker, but at least he'll deliver (no pickup or trailer means taking advantage of better deals almost impossible). He's already warned me that hay will be at least $20 more a ton this year, so at least that's one good thing about the flock being smaller this year. At least my hay bill should be almost manageable.

thecrazysheeplady said...

Great mirror shot! Sorry you had to deal with the hay jerk :-/.