Monday, October 16, 2006

Fall is in the air


The leaves are changing colors, and I revel in their beauty. Below is one of my little Japanese maples. Last Friday's quote on my Mary Engelbreit desk calendar said, "Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower." (Albert Camus) Isn't that great? Through Friday we were enjoying a beautiful Indian summer, with cool nights and warm days. But there was still that quality in the air that said Fall had arrived, even though the thermometer said "Summer."


Rain came over the weekend, so yesterday we worked on indoor tasks, like installing a new dishwasher and making grape juice. A client of Rick's has grapes, so this was our third or fourth session of bottling the lovely stuff. The variety he brought home this time was concord, although the grapes weren't as ripe (and therefore as dark and sweet) as they can get. But it's still beautiful, no?


The sheep are busy eating and growing wool. I look at that wool in a different light now that I'm spinning it. It's not just what sheep grow for covering, it is a gift they are producing. And their production has gotten me back into producing gifts myself. It's something I used to do all the time as a matter of financial necessity as well as personal satisfaction, but I haven't found much time for it since Brian was born. Between the enjoyment they give me as pets, the fleeces they produce, and the inspiration they have provided, my little sheep have given me so much! They truly are a blessing.

By the way; I've filled my first bobbin with Dinah's breech wool - all 5 1/2 ounces of it! I'm pretty happy with my first spinning efforts, and love doing it. Now I've got to figure out my next step, be it plying, making a skein or a center-pull ball, dying . . . I'll let you know what happens!

That's it for now at . . .

3 comments:

Kathy said...

What a wonderful post, Michelle! Our leaves have turned and are almost gone now. I refuse to rake them off the grass as I love to even see them on the ground and as soon as a good wind blows they will be gone. I never know where they go, but they disappear.
And you are so right about the sheep - I, too, think of them and their wool as a blessing.

Kathy said...

How's the spinning going, Girlfriend? You look like you are off to a great start!

Tammy said...

I'm really impressed with how quickly you are learning to spin! A bit envious to :-) I'm trying to 're-teach' myself to crochet on some inexpensive yarn I bought so I can do a decent job on Callum's yarn. It certainly isn't like riding a bike, as I seem to have forgotten it all! Anyway, enjoy yourself!