Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Digging in the dirt

Since we're getting a few summery days followed by a chance of rain this weekend, I decided to make the garden priority #1 today. I untangled the irrigation tubing and laid it out, noting the need for replacement parts. Then I planted the poor basil starts that I bought at least a month ago and kept forgetting to put in the ground. Next I planted hills of Red Kuri winter squash (thanks, Mama Pea!), zucchini, yellow straightneck squash, and burpless cucumber, followed by the two packets each of bush beans and sugar pea pods I bought this year. I still have lots of lovely tilled soil to work with and some Red Garnet yams that are sprouting, so I'm going to try rooting some slips to plant for the first time.

I had 'help.' Brian grumpily consented to pound in t-posts for my sugar pea trellis, and these two 'supervised' part of the time:

Two days ago Rick finally disconnected the power arm of our non-functioning electric gate so that it can be closed manually. With the perimeter a bit more secure, I decided to turn Poppy loose while I worked in the garden and hope for the best, and she enjoyed the freedom to snoop and chew and torment Chuckie immensely. Oh, and dig:

"Whaddya mean, my nose is dirty?"
She was pretty good about staying out of the garden at my request, but started excavating just outside the east garden fence. When I had finished planting and was ready to head in for a shower, I had to hose her off first. She didn't like that at all and struggled enough to work her way backwards out of her harness, but I managed to snag her collar and finish the job (after which I really needed a shower!).

Now I need to finish making supper. I'm trying an amalgamation of two recipes (here and here) from links that blogpal Debbie sent me. The seedless watermelon chilling in the fridge will be the perfect finale on this warm day. It's our first watermelon of the season; the chickens will be delighted to get the rinds.

Oh; while I've been relishing the last beautiful bearded iris blooms, the white flags snuck up behind me!


Feeling good about today's progress at . . .

5 comments:

Retired Knitter said...

Those 2 'supervisors' look more like they are supervising each other!! haha

Mama Pea said...

Uh-oh, looks like you've got a real digger on your hands with Poppy. What fun she could have in the soft earth of the garden. Eeeek.

Tim B. Inman said...

Digging! I'll bet that is as good of a rehab exercise as you can get for her front leg. And why not have fun while healing up!? Makes me chuckle. My Annie loves to dig, too. The kennel where I took Annie for puppie kindergarten actually has classes about how to stop your dog from digging. For me, out here on the farm, digging is the perfect passtime for Annie. It gives her something to do! Now if I could just teach her to fill one hole while she digs the next one....

And a thought on the tank liner: Any old construction plastic will do. To keep her from piercing the plastic on the bottom, consider adding some sand to the mix. An inch or two of sand would surely do the trick. If it does eventually leak a little, well, it is just water...

Cheers

Michelle said...

Elaine, later Chuckie lay in the shade of the overwintered parsley and really did supervise, while Poppy ran off to find more interesting pursuits.

For now I don't plan to let her out unsupervised, Mama Pea, and she seemed to learn pretty quickly what "Stay out" meant. Brian said there was an animal hole where she started excavating, so her activity had a purpose!

I thought that, too, Tim, since she uses both front feet equally to dig! Rick brought home some product to seal the tank; we'll see if that works. As for the digging, I knew that was part of the package when I bought a terrier....

Leigh said...

Oh my, Poppy's a quite a digger! I was going to ask if she uses her healing foot too, and see that you already answered that. That's encouraging. Beautiful irises.